1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dropped my laptop and now problems with startup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by imstjimmy, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imstjimmy

imstjimmy Thread Starter

Yesterday i accidentally dropped my laptop (HP Pavilion G6) and the battery fell out, it was plugged in at the time. It didnt fall from much of a height so i thought it would be ok. Upon starting it up again it came to a black screen asking if i wanted to use startup repair or start up normally. i swear i clicked on start up normally but it chose startup repair regardless. I left it overnight on the startup repair function as i heard it could take a long time for the program to run.

when i woke up this morning it was on some HP recovery program, i cant remember the exact name of it but it gave me options like system restore, system reset to factory conditions, a repair function, backing up files etc. i clicked to backup files but after it had tried doing this for several minutes of so it came up with an error message saying it couldnt be done. so i clicked on the repair function which lead me to three different options, one for repairing windows partition, one for recovery partition and one for command prompt x or something. (sorry i cant be more specific, i dont remember the precise names) but i tried all of these different repairs and none of them worked, except for command prompt which opened the command window, but not knowing what to do with the command window i returned to the initial recovery programme and clicked cancel and then the option to reboot the computer.

Upon restarting, it said there was a disk read error. So i restarted again and clicked on ESC to get other options just before the disk read error message. I probably should have looked into the various options but i stupidly didnt and clicked on system recovery which sounded like the best option. Now it has been stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen for a while and im not sure what to do.
    Any help is much appreciated and im very sorry if my description lacks detail, im happy to elaborate on any point if needed.
    Thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Sounds like you have a major hardware issue.

I think that it needs to be checked out by a tech and be prepared to buy a new machine.

3. joepayne

joepayne

Since laptops are made to be portable they are designed to withstand some abuse. If your computer was booted at the time you dropped it, my guess is that you have damaged the surface of the platters in your harddrive. If this is what happened, then the data in the damaged area is no longer usable. If you have data on your hd that you don't have backed up and you must have it, then the solution is to take the hd out of the laptop and slave it to another computer. If you don't have the hardware to accomplish this then take the hd to a computer store of your choice and pay them to make you a backup of all the data that is still accessable. Then buy you a new hd and start over.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You say it didn't fall from much of a height, but it took enough of an impact to dislodge the battery.

It's my guess that more than the hard drive is damaged and that you're now left with a heavy expensive doorstop.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Lets hope that whatever was on the hard drive can be salvaged easily and with not a lot of expense if it was worth saving and that all will be needed is a new hard drive. if the motherboard got damaged you will have to decide if the expense is worth it or shop for another computer.laptops are portable and can take some abuse but dropping them or spilling liquids in the keyboard can cause all sorts of problems. they are a lot more fragile than a desktop.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    We have a grandson who "Bumped" his laptop off a pillow that was on the floor and the motherboard was cracked.

Needless to say the machine had to be replaced, as a new motherboard would cost more that a new machine.

7. Simba7

Simba7

It sounds like it's just the hard drive. If it was more, the laptop wouldn't even power up. Also, check to see if the hard drive is properly seated. It could have become loose when it fell.

Can you hear the hard drive spinning or is it chirping and/or struggling?

8. huggie54

huggie54

agreed, also make sure ram sticks are seated correctly.

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Ive had motherboards go and the laptop still powered up it just didnt do much. so dont rule out the motherboard yet as not being damaged.i had a motherboard go on a lenovo ideapad that was causing keyboard problems. i had hoped a new keyboard would be the answer it wasnt.until its checked out you just never know.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice