1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dropped my laptop and the screen cracked

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by piscespassion, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

Hope I'm in the right category...
    I dropped my laptop last night, it literally flung from my hands and bounced down the hallway, and landed on the screen's side :eek:
    I didn't check it right away cus I was on my way to bed and didn't want to go to bed angry... but this morning I plugged it in and "Voila!" a cracked screen!! :mad:
    It's an older model laptop (Dell Inspiron 1000) so I was already thinking of buying a newer one, but I have all my work in this one, therefore I still need to get it out of there. Is replacing the screen my only option? Yes, huh? It powered on, it started up (cus I could hear the little Windows startup chime and everything... I even heard the little "plup" when Skype starts... but I can't see anyting! Any suggestions???
    [ I am "so" in shock still... :confused: ]

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Take that hard rive out and plug it into another machine to get your files. A screen replacement may cost as much as a new one.

Or use the connection to connect it to another monitor.

3. racie

racie

This is your cheapest bet. All you need is a cord.

Otherwise, just get a new one.

4. piscespassion

YES, see??? I knew I'd get good suggestions here ;) Does the other machine matter in make & model?? I would imagine it does, right? If not, I have that other one (HP Compaq Presario F700 Notebook PC) that the OS needs reinstalling cus the System Recovery won't complete (it freezes halfway)... can I stick it in there? Will that "assist" it with it's OS problem cus mine has XP on it already?? (Just curious...)
    How do I do this one??
    Thx~(y)

5. piscespassion

Just get a new "what"?
    And what cord do I need, please?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Look for a connector on the laptop. You should see a VGA connector that you can use to connect a monitor directly to the laptop and use that instead.

7. piscespassion

Ohhh! That's right, that's right... so I can connect it to my desktop's monitor that I'm on "now", and maybe put all my files into a folder that I can move "out of there"??? (I'm checking to see if it has a CD writer, I'm not sure yet...) Thx!

8. vicks

vicks

If you don't have a cd writer, you could always use a flash drive to move the documents to....
    Vicks

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Bingo.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice