1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dropped Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone - need advice

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by Greiffel, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

I dropped my awesome new phone from quite a height (balcony) and the screen is smashed, and it won't turn on (it did vibrate straight after when I tried though).

We're being told that the screen/s alone will cost quite a lot to fix, but I'm also concerned about the 'motherboard'. As it's not showing any life right now, is it possible that it's totally broken and will cost a fortune to fix/replace that too, and on top of that we won't get any data (photos) back?

Not sure if this means anything but when charging it, it gets really hot.

Considering tossing it out and buying a new one but it just seems like such a waste.

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you

2. _David

_David

Your best bet is to get a new phone.

For pictures, have you tried hooking it up to a computer? Which might not work if the USB mounting setting is off.

Jelly Bean 4.2.1 (JellyB-TSM) / Apex Pro / BreezeHD theme

[​IMG]

3. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

I tried that but if I remember correctly, (before it broke) it would only be accessible if it was on/I went through the security screen. As I can't do that now, I can't access anything unfortunately.

Had a quote and yes, it looks like it's not worth trying to repair. Massive waste!

4. _David

_David

This time get a heavy duty case. I use Seidio.

Jelly Bean 4.2.1 (JellyB-TSM) / Apex Pro / BreezeHD theme

[​IMG]

5. Benoit99

Benoit99

Sorry to say but it is a waste except for the battery.

Advice: Dont throw your phone from the balcony unless it is a Motorola defy or an Nokia one.

6. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

Yeah, it wasn't an intentional throw but after a few drinks, the view was too good and the panorama photo feature was calling....

7. MordyT

MordyT

The board may still be good.
    The phone vibs as soon as it turns on, when it shows the word google. seeing as it still vibs, it may still be turning on.

You can pull data with adb, (even if the phone won't boot) depending on your setup.

1) Was adb turned on? This would have been at setting -> developer options -> adb debugging
    2) Was the phone unlocked (not exactly the same as rooted) and running a custom recovery?

8. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

The phone vibrated the very first time I pushed the power switch, but has done nothing since then. It didn't show the word google, or anything on the screen for that matter.

I tried connecting it to my laptop to get the date and the first time, it tried to install drivers but failed.
    Also from what I remember, it wouldn't work unless the phone was unlocked. As the screen won't work, I can't unlock it.

I don't know if adb was turned on or off. Probably default as I don't recall changing a setting in developer options.

I've been told that sending it in for repairs will amount to the same as buying a new phone. :(

9. ibrahim0512

ibrahim0512

I know this is kind of obvious, but usually when my phone doesn't turn on but vibrates it's because It's out of battery. Although I'm pretty sure that's not the case I'd try charging it if I were you.

10. MordyT

MordyT

There is hope if it asked to install drivers. Pull the battery out for a minute, put it back in, and hit the power button. Does it still vib? Also, as the poster above said, throw it on the charger overnight.

Sent from my Google Nexus

11. MordyT

MordyT

12. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

Yeah I've charged it a few times. The charging light doesnt go on but it gets really hot.

It actually hasn't vibrated since that very first time I tried to turn it on after I dropped it.

It also hasn't asked to install drivers since the first time. It guess it just said 'drivers could not be installed' or something like that, and hasn't tried again.
    Thanks for the drivers anyway. I've installed now but the only thing that happens when plugging the phone in is that the pc makes that 'dong' noise, which usually indicates something is plugged in via USB.
    So there is some life somehow, but nothing else is happens.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice