1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dropping in new CPU & Mini ITX board,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wyatt R Hicks, Feb 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wyatt R Hicks

Wyatt R Hicks Thread Starter

well guys its been years since I'v been here, and far have i come since that time too. well hears my question for yall. I currently have an old acer htpc that iv taken apart and have the mobo and all laying on my desk and actually prefer to run it like that. but this girl is getting slow and old and what i was wondering . is can I swap out the cpu and mobo? I wanna get a MINI ITX asus board thats an LGA 1150 socket and get an intel chip going and get the power supply adapter to go from my acers 20pin psu to the new boards 24pin PSU connection requirement. WHEN i go to swap in the new mobo and cpu can i just plug up my hardrive to this new mobo and it all just work like the old computer does, because it technically has it a mobo and cpu now. or is it more complex that just unplug and plug in the new components. i wanna just change out the board and cpu thats all.and still be able to use my hardrive and my windows .

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, there are a number of issues here;

1 This is an acer computer and as such the windows lic is OEM. That means you change the mb and you need a new copy of windows. OEM type lic are valid with the original hardware only.

2 Next issue; the pw supply. While it may be possible to use an adapter ie 20 to 24pin, any pw supply that does not have current connectors is really too old to reuse. Pw supplies do not last forever and generally 5yrs is about the useful life of a pw supply; some a little more and some a little less.
    Most of the itx type boards I have seen use an 8pin aux connector so you would need another adapter as well.
    Just think about it for a min or two; the mb mfg uses a 24/8pin connector for a reason. The board needs the pw provided by the extra connectors.

3 While it is possible to move a windows install [there is a guide at the top of the forum for just that task] in this case, we cannot assist you since it would violate the eula.

4 As for using your old hard drive, as long as the drive is sata, then it is no problem. If the drive is an ide type drive, then you have a problem since modern mb do not have ide ports.

3. Wyatt R Hicks

I'v been a little delayed around here, but this is my reply I'm gonna hit you with. 1. I just hope and pray my Stock OEM windows will overlook the new hard ware and install the drivers if i make it to desktop. 2. my hard drive is an PNY 240gb SSD, should be no prob. 3. my current Stock PSU is throwing juice at an 95watt un-efficient Phenom III. I think the newer hardware that is more efficient will hurt it none, hope to be going to an 55watt Pentium haswell. 4. what do you mean by this? (While it is possible to move a windows install ) I don't know what this is. And please don't worry about the adapters and plugs, Iv got that all covered even getting new thermal paste too.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said, it is not legal to install a new [different] mb and use the oem windows. Because of this, we cannot help you accomplish this task.

5. Wyatt R Hicks

Okay sorry.. But there is hope at the end of the tunnel for doing it?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice