1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dropping Internet Connection all the time

Discussion in 'Networking' started by timmahhny, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timmahhny

timmahhny Thread Starter

I will do my best to make this clear and concise.

First the problem:
    Internet connection keeps dropping several times a minute, then for hours on end. Wireless keeps kicking out, Vonage fails to work, and wired connection keeps dropping as well.

History:
    We are provided “high-speed internet” via a hick-company, called Princetown Cable.
    Three years ago, we started to have problems with the connection.
    I was told that it was a virus. I work on computers and teach computer security, we have no viruses.
    The “tech” showed up said it was signal loss. Put a signal booster on the line.
    We still had the problems.
    I switched out the Netgear Router with a Linksys Wireless G. This did not solve the problem
    I changed out the power surge strip.
    I purchased a D-Link router; which not only kicks off every few seconds, but is real bad with the wired connection as well. Worse than the Linksys, which I am currently using.
    The old Motorola modem was switched out to the new Surfboard Motorola modem.
    Finally last year, they replaced the line between the pole and house.
    No change.
    Our speeds range from 20kps to 68kps download and 7kps to 20kps upload
    Next they said that it was “their” internet provider Parasun.
    February our provider switched to another provider.
    Problem still continues

Setup:
    The “main line” travels down the road about ¼ mile, then back to our house, where it is split to our house.
    The line enters the modem in the cellar, then out of the modem into the Linksys router. I have Vonage in the DMZ.
    No firewalls running on the router.
    The new tech guy in March, placed a second router and a laptop to keep to log whatever it is he was looking for. That was setup for about a week, running. He took the laptop but left the second router.
    Problem keeps on going.

This morning I put the Motorola modem on the cable coming into the house and hooked up the Ubuntu Laptop and ran a speed test from several sites. The best I could do was 26kps, with the average around 12kps download, and less than 7kps upload.
    I did the same test with my Windows XP Pro laptop, and it was roughly the same.

I called the cable company and talked to one of the head owners. (Small service provider, providing service to less than 300 people)

Once again he is trying to put the blame on someone else, claiming I am the only one making a complaint. (This is not true as my sister is also suffering from the same thing I am and a person about ¼ mile up the road),

I have been trying to figure this out on my own, and have found something that might be the problem.
    Some service providers send “packets” of information for 100ms, then stop for about 90ms, then send, etc… This would cause my Vonage phone to be as crappy as it is. But would it be the cause of the constant dropping of our internet connection, both wireless and wired?It seems to be getting much worse over the past two weeks, as we can only get on maybe an hour or two total. We might have two computers on at once, for a very short time frame. Mostly one computer is on, running Ubuntu Linux.
    We are in a rural area and our cell phones don’t really work; Vonage is our only means of contacting anyone in case of an emergency.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hopefully I provided everyone with a good background of the problem and how we are setup.
    Timmahhny

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Connect one computer directly to the broadband modem, then do this.

Register at DSLReports and run their line quality tests. Post a link to the results here.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Gee, Tim, I'm glad you were concise. :)

Just kidding. You were very clear and complete. If I correctly understood the 4th paragraph from the end you tested with a computer (actually two different ones) connected directly to the modem immediately inside your house. If so, you did figure this out on your own. Your ISP has problems. I think that even the slowness, never mind the disconnects, would give bad phone service. 26kbps (kilo-bits, right) is half dial-up. :(

Encourage the others with problems to also keep calling or visiting the cable company.

Depending on the type of connection, there could be a problem (loose, oxidation, bad ground, etc.) where their cable is connected to your cable just outside your house. If it's an open-to-the-elements connection (like mine) check that to make sure it's OK, but I don't suspect a problem there.

Keep beating on the cable company. Satellite isn't the greatest, but see if it's available to you.

EDIT: Good! I was hoping John would see this.

4. timmahhny

timmahhny Thread Starter

TerryNet they changed the line from the house to the pole. It is one line with the connection right up at the pole, thru the basement wall.

I will do this in the morning.
    Since I have two modems, it will be pretty easy to do.
    They will be up here to pick up the second modem sometime...maybe. If not, I guess I have a Linksys Modem

TerryNet: I / we have been looking into Satellite. We have DirectTV, and can get either a local or another. The only problem is the Vonage Phone. I guess it really doesn't matter since the phone sucks anyway.

I did attach a .bmp image, but I don't know where it went. It was done last night around 11pm, 52kp download, 37kp upload. The best I have gotten so far.
    Thanks for the info. I will as allows keep after these people to start yelling louder, not that it matters, if I am the only one anyway. And I will do the test sometime in the morning. Trying to get some sleep
    Timmahhny

Attached Files:

5. timmahhny

timmahhny Thread Starter

I went to the site, became a member, did two test, copied them to a clip board. How do I post it here?
    Thanks Tim
    BTW: Speakeasy (NY) 40Kbs, did vonage again, 28kbs and could not do the upload, kept kicking me off line, again.
    I can't do the line test because I am not a paid member.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    really that attachment says it all really.

I think you should get your money back or start looking for a lawyer... That is no way a service.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, I've never paid DSLreports anything, and I use their line quality tests all the time. Many other people here have as well.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Email that last attachment to the cable company once a day. Send a printout to your local newspaper.

Keep after that DSLreport. I haven't learned to read them yet, but John and others can use it to point to the biggest problem(s)--e.g., 3 hops from your ISP, just before your ISP, your ISP, etc.

9. john7777

john7777

Hi Tim,

I have a similar problem, and I am quite sure it's due to the poor service provided by Princetown Cable. I think they have oversold their service and can't keep up with the traffic.

I think we need to get everyone together and start complaining to the cable company and the town to see if we can get better service.

Can you send me an email?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice