1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

drops wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by robebcan, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robebcan

robebcan Thread Starter

When connected to my home wireless network for extended periods with no activity, I come back to find that my wireless connection has been lost. Sometimes, right-clicking on the wireless icon and selecting Repair fixes the problem. Sometimes, the Repair stops on the first action "Windows was unable to disable the wireless network adapter".

I'm using a Netgear G router (from a Motorola modem) with wire to my desktop and wireless to this laptop.

Laptop profile
    WinXP Pro SP2 Lenovo X60 Thinkpad Centrino Duo
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Any ideas?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is it only wireless that stops
    how many machines do you have connected wirelessly - does it happen to all of them

how many other networks are there in your area

Please post the exact model of the router? - does it have a number

For wireless connections, change the channel used, by logging into the router, and look at the wireless setup, use 1 or 6 or 1
    check if you have the latest firmware on the router
    Make sure you have all the router settings and try to set the router backk to factory defaults and resetup - usually a button on the back to reset
    Goto device manager and post back the network adapter type - see if we can get a later driver

3. robebcan

robebcan Thread Starter

Netgear wireless router model is WGR645 v9.
    I've had it about 4 months but problem only started recently.

There are only 2 networks in the area that my computer can pick up.....my network and some neighbour's (very weakly.) That has not changed since the installation of the network.

Only my laptop connects to my network wirelessly. I use cable to connect to the desktop.

The baby's crying......I've got to write more later

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Ok, will wait, post when ready

5. robebcan

robebcan Thread Starter

sorry for long delay........rapidly changing work demands right now

I wanted to add to the previous reply that my laptop wireless connection has no problem in all the hotels I take it to. The dropout that I'm seeing only occurs at home, and only in the wireless connection (my desktop computer hardwire connection remains intact throughout). The dropout occurs regardless of the strength of the wireless signal. The "Repair" function works about 50% of the time. The other times, the Repair fails and states that "Windows was unable to disable the wireless adapter".

Still on the road for a few days, so no hurry for replies.
    Thanks

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Some things you can try here.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
    5. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

7. robebcan

robebcan Thread Starter

Okay, I'm finally home now for a few days to troubleshoot.....

There is no visible "channel selector" on the wireless router or the Motorola cable modem. How do I select a different channel?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Channel selection is done using the web based configuration interface for the router.

Open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG.

The address of the Default Gateway is the IP address of your router, put that in IE's address bar to access the setup.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/789041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice