drwtsn32.exe and dwwin.exe application error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beastmith

This came out after i open my windows and logged in. I tried opening my task manager and it won't come out, i waited like 1 hr juts to see how will this help but it did not help anything, it's just this two problems that shows up everytime even if i press "okay" button it will still shows up.

so i tried using this: safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
The Last Good known settings
- all of that i tried but the same problem shows up, " drwtsn32. exe - application error" and "dwwin.exe - application error ". i can't access anything in my programs coz even the "start" button is not shown. i tried using another account but the same problem shows up.

please i need suggestion or help to fixed my laptop. ( just so you im using another computer)

Thank you all in advance for the help!
i hope we can fixed together...

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
drwtsn32.exe and dwwin.exe are a part of the Microsoft Doctor Watson error reporting tool which comes packaged with some Microsoft products.

Disable it:

Click on Start > Run > type regedit.

Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

In the right pane, set the "Auto" value to 0 and reboot.

If you can't access the Start button, simply hit CTRL + ALT + DELETE to open the Task Manager. Select the "Applications" tab then click on "New task..." Then, type regedit in the box that opens.

beastmith

drwtsn32.exe and dwwin.exe are a part of the Microsoft Doctor Watson error reporting tool which comes packaged with some Microsoft products.

Disable it:

Click on Start > Run > type regedit.

Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

In the right pane, set the "Auto" value to 0 and reboot.

If you can't access the Start button, simply hit CTRL + ALT + DELETE to open the Task Manager. Select the "Applications" tab then click on "New task..." Then, type regedit in the box that opens.
yes but the "Start button" is not shown even my files, all blank except my wallpaper. i tried the task manager and it doesn't work either

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Try opening the Run command by hitting the Windows logo key + R.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
What about Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

Type regedit in there.

Hi - I have the exact same problem since a Windows update sent this morning, trying to figure out how to handle. Here's a couple of things I figured out at this time:
  • once you log in you can do Ctrl-Alt-Del to start the task manager (mine is Sysinternals Process Explorer but it should do the same with Windows')
  • I figured out that dwwin invokes drwtsn32 which also invokes dwwin and so on infinitely
  • I tried to disable error reporting (dwwin) in the control panel but it does not change anything
  • I don't know what is causing dwwin to fire originally, neither dr watson...
If anyone has info and suggestion, please do!

Oh, I forgot to mention... regedit does seem to fire up the drwtsn32 - dwwin chain and does not get to the edit window... worthless at this moment...

beastmith

Hi - I have the exact same problem since a Windows update sent this morning, trying to figure out how to handle. Here's a couple of things I figured out at this time:
  • once you log in you can do Ctrl-Alt-Del to start the task manager (mine is Sysinternals Process Explorer but it should do the same with Windows')
  • I figured out that dwwin invokes drwtsn32 which also invokes dwwin and so on infinitely
  • I tried to disable error reporting (dwwin) in the control panel but it does not change anything
  • I don't know what is causing dwwin to fire originally, neither dr watson...
If anyone has info and suggestion, please do!
yah i've tried that too but the task manager can't seem to be open.

beastmith

Oh, I forgot to mention... regedit does seem to fire up the drwtsn32 - dwwin chain and does not get to the edit window... worthless at this moment...
And just for more info's
i'm using IBM thinkpad XP pro
idk if this wil help but just for info

Well, here's where I am...
  • I've been able to open windows in safe mode
  • Opened the task manager and killed ALL the dwwin and drwtsn32 - it takes time 'cause they keep on opening but you can get through it... I don't know that you can kill a process tree in Windows task manager though, so it can prove to be a challenge...
  • once all stopped, started "explorer" from process explorer
  • started "C:" and then up to scan with Norton Antivirus, found 3 virus and one Trojan, required restart, safe mode
  • again killed all the dwwin and drwtsn32 processes
  • ran regedit to delete the aedebug key to disable dr watson
Now I can start the laptop without getting into the dwwin and drwtsn32 problems, but svchost keeps crashing, explorer does not start by itself and obviously no services (network, etc...) are working.

Will keep you posted,

Please, any other suggestions very much welcome!

beastmith

Well, here's where I am...
  • I've been able to open windows in safe mode
  • Opened the task manager and killed ALL the dwwin and drwtsn32 - it takes time 'cause they keep on opening but you can get through it... I don't know that you can kill a process tree in Windows task manager though, so it can prove to be a challenge...
  • once all stopped, started "explorer" from process explorer
  • started "C:" and then up to scan with Norton Antivirus, found 3 virus and one Trojan, required restart, safe mode
  • again killed all the dwwin and drwtsn32 processes
  • ran regedit to delete the aedebug key to disable dr watson
Now I can start the laptop without getting into the dwwin and drwtsn32 problems, but svchost keeps crashing, explorer does not start by itself and obviously no services (network, etc...) are working.

Will keep you posted,

Please, any other suggestions very much welcome!
Thank you very much Sir
keep gving me suggestion please

but i've tried safe mode though but how much time did you wait until the task manager shows?

If I plug in an usb drive it get infected with a 44k program file. and an autorun.inf file is created.

The userinit.exe is infected with the same 44k. Replace userinit.exe using bartspe and it is replace shortly after boots.

Found root kit files starting with ESQUL*

I put sysinternal process explore in the startup folder and could see where the drwatson was running from and stopped those programs. But still haven't found the trojan.

If you have the 44k userinit.exe then you have Virus.Win32.Virut

I uploaded the file to virustotal.com and half the sites report this, the rest nothing.

It is an exe infector. Copy off your data and do a fresh load. Unless someone comes up with a fix.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online