1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DS Log & Hijack This log

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ones&zeros, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ones&zeros

ones&zeros Thread Starter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what DS Log is. My Zone Alarm firewall prompts me to allow DS Log to access the internet every day.

Also, Can anyone look at this HijackThis log and tell me if any of these items are cause for concern and warrant removal?

My system is a new Dell Dimension 8300 running WindowsXP, McAfee Virus protection, and Zone Alarm Firewall. SPYBOT, Adaware, and HijackThis are also installed.

Thanks for your help!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 1:31:02 AM, on 10/3/2003
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\S. Cardinal\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = http://localhost
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext = http://www.dellnet.com/
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdate.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37895.6192592593

2. putasolution

putasolution

DS log is the DSentry log

DSentry is Anti-spyware from Dell. Seems that after Dell found out certain applications being installed from DVD's would report back information about what customers were watching, they decided to implement an anti-spyware service. Run manually before installation starts [source: pacs portal]

DSentry isn't needed, therefore personally I can only see these two that could be removed. Restart Hijack this, and put a check mark against the following

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

Click Fix Checked

3. ones&zeros

Thanks Puta,

If DS Log is not harmful; then, I don't mind leaving it active. Do you see it as being a threat of any kind?

Thanks again!

4. putasolution

putasolution

No I wouldn't say it's harmful, can't say I know how much system resource it uses. By all means leave it active, it was only a HO :D

But the real player one should definitely come out, that IS a resource hog

5. ones&zeros

Puta,

You have a point about the resource hogging! That's something which I was not focusing on; but, maybe I should be.

6. winchester73

winchester73

Remember that you can run this stuff manually anytime you want to ... you just don't need it running in the background all the time, consuming resources.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice