1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dSL 2 ON THE INTERNET BUT NO DSL LIGHT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richsandy, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richsandy

richsandy Thread Starter

i AM RUNNING XP HOME I HAVE DSL WITH VERIZON. THE MOTEM WENT BAD AND VERIZON SENT ME A NEW ONE BUT WHEN IN INSTALED IT I CAME UP WITH 2 INTERNET CONECTIONS. ONE IS CONSTANTLY AQUIRING ADDRESS AND NEVER FINDS ONE, AND THE ONE HAS AN ADDRESS OF 1.1.1.1 BUT WORKS I HVE TO HAVE BOTH OR I CAN'T GET ON THE INTERNET. I CALLED VERIZON AND THEY SENT ME A NOW MOTEM. I HAVE THE SAME THING. THEY SAID NOW THAT I HAVE A BAD EATHER NET CARD. I PUT IN ANOTHER CARD AND HAVE THE SAME THING DELL SAIDS THAT I HAVE A BAD MOTEM. AND VERIZON SAIDS I HAVE A BAD CARD. WHEN I GO TO IE AND TYPE ING 196.168.1.1 WITCH IS SUPPOST TO OPEN MY MOTEM IT DOSE NOTHING HELP.

2. GyverX

GyverX

ok, the 192.168.1.1 is a router address. If nothing happend with typing in that address chances are your not using a router. So...
    Lets asume you are use the following set up
    Phone line goes into your MODEM and a Ether net cable goes from the MODEM to your computer eithernet adapter.
    Is this Scenaro Correct?
    Are you using Windows XP? SP1 or 2?

3. richsandy

richsandy Thread Starter

yes that is all correct I am using xp home sp 2

4. Scorpion

Scorpion

Careful GyverX....FYI some new modems are also routers...like the Speedstream 6520, which I have. It's a modem/router with wireless.:D

Richsandy, you can also try 192.168.0.1, or .0.2, or .1.2 on the end. These are common router/modem adresses.

You can also try to ping the router/modem. Goto Start>Run, type cmd, press enter. In the window that opens, type 'ping 192.168.X.X' without the quotes, and where .x.x is the one you want to try. You should get something like Reply from 192.168....etc.

You say you have 2 internet conections. If I were you, I would reste the modem/router, and set it up again. See if it helps.

Scorp.

5. richsandy

richsandy Thread Starter

I tryed tht ping test for all of the #s you gave me no luck. I uninstaled my network adaptors. rest my motom/wireless router and rebooted the computer. I only had one connection, but it would it keeps serching for address and can't find one so I run the install softwear from verizon. I now have two again. now ihave internet but if I disconnect one,( it don't make any diferance witch one I drop my internet. I think I am suck with a bridge and can't get into the motom to change it Help Rich

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice