1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL (768K) Running at 56K speed!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by neduarte, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neduarte

neduarte Thread Starter

I just moved my computer from the basement to the living room for personal reasons, all of a sudden, the internets is lagging, A LOT!!! I have a Westell 6100 modem given by Verizon DSL, speed package of 768K. The modem states that it is receiving information at 825Kpbs, and my PC is stating that I am connected at 10Mbps. But when I go into a site by verizon to test speed (www.infospeed.verizon.net), a program calculates that I'm running at an incredible 61.1Kpbs/7.6Kpbs and sometimes, if I'm lucky, an incredible 6.5Kpbs/1.3Kpbs. I have the modem hooked up via Ethernet cable, and I'm using the exact same cables that I was using in the basement. The modem has already been refreshed, resetted, but to no avail. I have 4 connections for some reason (which could be part of the problem??). Running on XP, 3.3Ghz.

Broadband
    1. Verizon (Connected, Firewalled Wan Miniport PPPOE)
    Connection Manager
    2. MSN: (Disconnected, Firewalled, Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem)
    Lan or High Speed Internet
    3. Local Area Connection: (Connected, Firewalled, Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC)
    4. 1394 Connection (Connected, Firewalled, 1394 Net Adapter)

Any help would be really appreciated.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

Connecting at 10Mbps... that sounds like the modem or NIC is now running at that speed. Double check your NIC by going to Control Panel > Network Connections (i think) > right click on your NIC and click properties. Then click on Configure, then under the Advanced tab, make sure the connection type is set to auto.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you change the telephone wiring to the DSL modem?

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.ing issues.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Even if the ethernet is not capable of more than 10 Mbps that should be sufficient to handle an internet bandwidth of less than 1 Mbps. :)

When you moved the computer from basement to living room, perhaps something else was changed. Maybe you changed the ethernet cable or changed the cable to the modem. Or disturbed one of those cables to effectively use more or less of its length. Maybe you even moved the modem to a different phone jack. If you can determine what that other change was, you have a good chance of zeroing in on the current problem.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

4 minutes! I got beat by 4 minutes?! :( I gotta have some more coffee!

6. neduarte

neduarte Thread Starter

All the cables are the same ones used in the PC's prior location, and all seem to be in fine condition . Is it a clue to any of you if the upload speed is running at +-110Kpbs...? I mean, COMMON! I upload faster than I download? What about all those connections? Would reloading Verizon to my PC possibly reset all settings ? Speed tests fluctuate between 56 and 250, nowhere near 768...thanks again.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

"seem to be in fine condition" is a good start, but not definitive. How about the cable that is now running from the basement to the living room (or used to run from the living room to the basement)? That's the one I'd be most concerned about.

"+-110Kpbs" is not a clue to me. I don't know what a negative bandwidth means. I assume that by "pbs" you mean bps (bits per second).

8. neduarte

neduarte Thread Starter

Sorry, '+-" was meant to state 'somewhere around' 100 Kilobites per second upload speed. I should be at 160Kpbs upload speed. I'm using a different phone jack (the original basement is too far away to connect the pc from there. However, the issue doesn't seem to be where the jack is located, since I'm still maintaining that 100Mbps connection speed regardless what jack I'm using. I rechecked the cables (they're the exact ones I used downstairs), and all the cables are fine, I used some cables that I KNOW are working (phone line to the modem, Ethernet cable from PC to modem) and still the issue persists. Could a power surge affect the modem? I have everything hooked up to a top of the line power surge protector, wife said that the pc turned off twice when she was working on the computer. Then everything went haywire.
    Thanks again.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'll say again, it's an issue on the analog side of the telephone connection. Either you've screwed up the filters, or you have sub-standard wiring in the wall to the jack you're now using. The fact that you have faster upload speeds doesn't indicate anything useful about the wire quality.

For a simple test, you can get some quality twisted pair wire and simply string it down to the original connection for a test. If that fixes, see my previous post.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What JohnWill said (of course).

The bandwidth of your ethernet connection between modem and PC have nothing to do with the problem.

Whatever changed is the most likely suspect (per posts 3, 4, 7 and 9). You finally said, "I'm using a different phone jack." Unless you moved the cable, that jack is clearly connected with a different phone cable. In addition to JohnWill's list, it could be a loose connection (e.g., the connection to the jack you are now using).

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549726