1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL and 3 computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by laurasherman, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laurasherman

laurasherman Thread Starter

Help

I am trying to install DSL. We have 3 computers which are networked. I installed the modem into netgear, the box has four slots each computer is plugged into the box and the fourth slot I plugged the ethernet cable into then the cable is plugged into the modem. I installed the software everything is fine then I went to install the software on the next computer and it is not recognizing the modem. How do you get the other computers to recognize the dsl modem, cause it is not installed on the other computers but we are all networked. Hope I am making sense. Any help would be appreciate.
    Thanks Laura

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What kind of "box" are you plugging the cables into? If you're using a switch or hub, you probably only have a single public IP address, and only one will connect.

Please supply make/model for all the networking equipment, modem, router, switch, etc.

3. laurasherman

Sorry its a hub, now I find out we need a router? SBC has really been know help. When I ordered this for the company I work for I told them it was for a company and that we had three computers that where network. Come to find out they sent us a modem for a home not a business and well it has just been a very furstrating experience. And plus by me installing DSL or lets say trying i messed up the network. Hopefully tonight a friend is going to install a router and things will be up and running. I am just so confessed everyone I talk to gives a little more information. When really we should of had all this information from the beginning. Hope that helps. Sorry that I am just going on and on. Thanks Laura

4. laurasherman

Its me again. Well my friend came and it is still not working, He installed the router and we can not get on internet. All the lights are green but internet. It is a speedstream modem. We are only hooking up three computers which are already networked. So he took the router and the modem home and it works so it is not the hardware. It just keeps getting worst. I was at work for over 12 hours will go back today hopefully he will have some ideas. Oh we did get one computer to go on line but thats about all. He said I have alot of spyware on my computer. Does that have anything to do with it? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Laura

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Once again, you need to supply the information I asked for previously. It's difficult to troubleshoot from a distance, but virtually impossible without good information about the configurations. O/S versions, make/model of all networking equipment, etc.

6. tronh

tronh

Your best bet is to lean on SBC. They have a small business product, and they certainly have the expertise and support resources to get you working. You may need to be a bit more persistent with them.

In general technical terms, if they gave you a single-user DSL modem in "bridge mode", then only one computer is going to work unless you or someone at your company knows how to reconfigure it, or configure a separate router to support what is probably a PPP-over-ethernet (PPPoE) connection on the SBC WAN side of the router. If the SpeedStream operates as a router, or has that capability, you might only have to enable DHCP to make all your computers work (assuming they are all set to automatically get an IP address, and there is no other DHCP server on your network).

As johnwill says, this is all speculation without more details about your equipment, computers, and network, but the above may help you get clarification from SBC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice