1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL and Cable on Same Network???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mitchlap, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mitchlap

mitchlap Thread Starter

Hello,

Here's my current computer network setup:

DSL connection to net with a static IP address with an Efficient Networks bridge connected to a Sonicwall firewall device and that into a 3Com 8-port hub for my home network. I am using an NT network along with an e-mail server running Exchange 5.5. I have 4 PCs all connected to the file and e-mail server.

PROBLEM is that I am having a hard time with my DSL connection staying connected and therefore I am thinking about switching to cable modem service but they do not offer static IP addressing and I was told that my PCs would have to be configured into their network scheme. I'm unsure of the exact details but its Comcast's @home service. I still want to continue to run my e-mail server here at home and with cable it surely doesn't look like I can do this.

QUESTION: is it at all possible to run both cable and DSL at the same time on my network. I would keep the main NT server hooked up like I have it now except I would hook the Sonicwall straight to the server box and then hook up the cable to a Linksys type router so I can share the connection for all the machines on my network but my main concern is having both my network like I have it now and the cable network at the same time on the one network. Does this make sense what I'm trying to accomplish.

IS there anyway I can do this?????? I'm not too techie but have a good idea about computers, etc....

Thanks in advance for all your help. You can e-mail me directly on just post to this thread here....

Thanks!!!
    Mitch
    [email protected]

2. deuce

deuce

Well, my advice is it sounds like it would take considerable effort, brain power and capital to make this worth it just to make sure you need an internet connection all the time. Unless you have frequent or long disruptions or need the all time connection for business and stuff, then yes it would be worth it. Have you considered looking for a different DSL carrier? I use wireless DSL at 276 kbps (for $26/month) and have the option to use up to a max (currently) of 512 kbps (or it might be 7-- something now) for about $50 extra/month... and I have it 24x7 and rarely get it disrupted. The only time it gets disconnected is when they perform maintence on the towers and do software upgrades, and those aren't that often but happen between 3 and 6 am when they do.

3. mitchlap

mitchlap Thread Starter

Mike,

Thanks very much for your reply!!! Unfortunately Covad is the DSL provider here in the area and they partner with my IPS. Even if I should switch to a different ISP, I would still have Covad as the real DSL provider. Covad controls my own destiny, so to speak. I haven't thought about wireless DSL. Do you get a static IP. I only need a static IP to run my e-mail server. If the cable folks did it then it would be a done deal!!! I actually had a thought as I was sitting here pondering what to do and I think I got the solution. I would run my e-mail server separately on my DSL staic Ip system and then run the cable on a completely separate system and then to check mail I could just configure Outlook to go to the server such as mail.xxxxxx.com and get mail that way. It would actually go out of my home on the cable side and come back in thru the DSL and back to deliver the mail, if that makes any sense. I also think I could maybe put in a 2nd NIC on the email box and run the cable network into it on that card as long as the NT system could see it that way. That would be the next question if NT could see the box on the 2nd NIC and the DSL on the NIC in there now....

Any thoughts, anyone????

Thanks!!

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Some external dsl modems have a setting that will do an automatic reconnect whenever it senses that the connection is lost. The Multitech rf500s has this capability and is less than $200.00.

There might be other external dsl modems out there that offer the same capability.

In my area you have to subscribe to the more expensive business class dsl connection to get a static ip address on dsl while cable comes with one by default and you can purchase additional ones for $9.95 a month.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice