1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL and cisco

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mrfoad, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrfoad

Mrfoad Thread Starter

I have a cisco 2514 series router, DSL, a win98 machine, nt (server) machine and a 2k machine. I'd like to run the dsl into the router and give Internet access to the other machines. My IP address from the provider is DHCP (not static). So my question is what would be the best way to configure this. Should I run the dsl line into the router or run the dsl into my win 98 machine and use it as a gateway? Any detailed advice would be helpful Thanks

2. Dan O

Dan O

The 2514 is pretty expensive for what you are trying to do with it, but it should work. Checkout the bridging and PPPoE options. Nomally all you need is a 800 series Cisco or a cheaper brand, such as Linksys, Netgear, Asante or NEXLAND.

3. Mrfoad

Mrfoad Thread Starter

I know it's overkill, but I bought two of the routers to help pass the CCNA exam. Anymore advice. Thanks

4. brianF

brianF

5. Dan O

Dan O

Did you checkout the bridging and PPPoE options as I suggested and did it help?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice