1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL AND Internet Gateway on XP?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by echelonokie, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. echelonokie

echelonokie Thread Starter

First, let me say I apologize if this is already covered somewhere but I couldn't locate it.

I'm not sure what changed on my system earlier tonight, but suddenly I have 2 internet connection icons. I have one that's always been there which is my DSL connection icon (Local Area Connection 2 @ 100.0mbps) and one that suddenly showed up that shows only 10 mbps. For some reason, I can't disable the second one, regardless of the route I try to go to do it. I can still connect to the internet but I'm not sure of the speed I'm getting.

It's got me worried because it just suddenly showed up AND because it's showing a speed so much slower than my DSL speed. I do have a D-Link router connected. It used to be for a laptop to have a connection but now it's only my desktop that's connected.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What download speed do you get with Speedtest.net, and what speed are you supposed to be getting with your DSL service?

3. echelonokie

echelonokie Thread Starter

Okay, I did the test and it shows:

Ping: 43ms
    Download: .66mbps
    Upload: .10

According to my provider's website, this is what I'm supposed to be getting:

Download Speed up to: 3.0 Mbps
    Upload Speed up to: 384 Kbps

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That result certainly confirms there's a serious problem.

I don't quite understand where you are seeing the "2 internet connection icons." Could you attach a screen shot showing those, please? If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice