1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dsl + Belkin Router + Dlink Router + 3com Switch

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rookedinto, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rookedinto

rookedinto Thread Starter

Ladies & gents,

I work for a smallish company that is about to expand. We're going from 4 computers connected to a Belkin 4-port router and adding 20 computers to a switch, which is connected to a D-Link DI-604 which is connected to the Belkin.

This reason for this convoluted setup is that the 20 new PCs need to be restricted in what they can access on the internet (2 sites and connect to a server). We don't want to restrict the 4 original PCs.

We picked up the D-Link due to its ability to control domains pretty easily. The problem is, I need an open connection to a specific IP address on ports 4040 and 701 for a program that the users will be accessing.

When I keep domain blocking off, the program connects to the remote server no problem. As soon as domain blocking is on, no dice. So now you're thinking: 'Just open the ports, idiot.' Tried it, no dice. I've opened the ports on both the D-Link and the Belkin (which isn't really necessary since the Belkin's firewall is off).

If you have been able to follow this long and arduous post and have any ideas as to where I'm screwing up, your responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you can restrict by IP with the D-Link, why not lose the Belkin and just use the D-Link as the only router?

3. rookedinto

rookedinto Thread Starter

That's where I think I'm gonna have to go...Thanks for the reply though, much appreciated.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Seems like the right solution, solves the problem and simplifies the network! What's not to like? :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/295369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice