DSL connection but no Internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Liveplayfully

I've had CenturyLink service for about a month and it has been working fine since day 1. Last night the internet cut out. 2 hours with tech support listening to them not knowing what they're doing, and now they're sending someone out in 7 days. I don't think it is the wires or hardware on my end.

I have an Actiontec GT701D. It powers up, the Internet light comes on Green, flashes, then turns orange and goes off, then the DSL light flashes green and then goes solid green. When I open the modem up in a browser it shows a DSL connection but no Internet. The tech support reported that they could not see the DSL connection from their end.

How can I trouble shoot this further? I believe that if I wait for CL to show up all that person is going to do is be able to talk to more knowledgeable tech people back at CL. Is there a secret # that will let you talk to knowledgeable tech support at CL?

Thanks,
Peter

etaf

First Name
Wayne
It powers up, the Internet light comes on Green, flashes, then turns orange and goes off, then the DSL light flashes green and then goes solid green
so the DSL light is showing the line is enabled for DSL - so thats good
the internet light shows its not logging into the internet service
I suspect the techs have covered most
BUT
I would first check the routers setting - make sure they are correct for the ISP - should be on the ISP website what settings are needed
adn then make sure the username and password is correct , I spent a while missing the fact that i have a lowecase L instead of uppercase I , they look the same

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
I am slightly bewildered that the manual for the modem says for features 4 ethernet ports, but it does not appear to be a router/modem, just a modem with 1 port.

Since the Internet Light is off, that would usually be a username/password issue. Is your computer connected to the modem directly?

Liveplayfully

Usually the modem is hooked to WNDR3800 but for troubleshooting and setup it is connected straight to laptop. I think I may have a login problem and remember this setup worked fine for a month. Earlier today I asked tech chat to change my ppp password to something new - I just checked and the change did not go through. That tech said they would make the change again so I am waiting the requisite 15 minutes before I try again and see if the new password stuck in their system...

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
It could be a bad line distorting that login data being sent, but unlikely.

Liveplayfully

Below is an excerpt from my last chat with tech. I have a hard time believing this is a hardware problem given that it worked so well for a month but I'm not real sure what Dslam and port are. The tech was able to bump my service call up to Monday morning so I am happy about that. Chat tech is far far superior to phone tech btw.

Tech Jack > The modem is connecting but the dslam does not see it, We will need to get a tech out to find out is we have a bad port

Peter > where is the port located?

Peter > are they prone to going out all of a sudden?

Tech Jack > on the dslam, the device the modem connectes to through the phone line

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online