1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dsl & dial up ???????

Discussion in 'Networking' started by LynnStanland, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LynnStanland

LynnStanland Thread Starter

:confused:

We have direct dial up at our home and never a problem--- My husband and I are opening a business and the telephone company told me that I could use dsl and it would also serve as my fax line also. The electrican installed the phone lines and 3 cat 5 lines to three different (patches) --- The phones are working properly but I can not get the dsl to work. Phone co came out said everything fine and that they were sending computer personel out --- well I don't know when that will be and I would like to solve this myself -- the computer personnel will be also networking the 3 computers -- all have nics, windows xp --- the electrician run the cat 5 (blue cable) from each connection site to the phone box--I do know I will need a hub to network the computers-- but how is that going to help the dsl---

2. DMC2

DMC2

how is it connected atm? USB or through your NIC? Do you have a router or just your Adsl modem? Does it look like you're online? ie..are all the lights on? Have you logged in in your router/modem?

It's hard to diagnose the problem since I can't see anything and I don't know about your set up, so maybe this site might help.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

or maybe someone else might have an idea.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I would buy a broadband router/switch instead of a hub, kills two birds with one stone. As far as the DSL not working, there can be many reasons. I had a customer that had DSL installed, but we were trying to connect it to the wrong phone line, when we got that straightened out all was well. Of course, you do know that you need the DSL filters on everything except the DSL modem on the phone line in question, right? For debugging, I'd connect the DSL modem and nothing else to see if you can get it running.

4. Del

Del

What modem did the phone company give you?

5. Rockn

Rockn

You need to put a filter between your analog modem and the wall jack. Your ISP/DSL supplier should have given you some with your DSL modem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice