1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL Disconnect When home phone is in use

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pizzay, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pizzay

Pizzay Thread Starter

Hey all,

Lately whenever the home phone rings or is in use the DSL cuts out instantly. I have one cordless phone with two handsets. The line going into the phone has an adsl splitter on it. At first i thought mabye a bad splitter so i tried another, yet still got the same problem! Eliminiating that problem im not sure what else to check. Any assitance would be appreciated!

2. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

When my father in law worked for the phone company and we used the dsl line, make sure that the filter is installed correctly. if the filter has a 2 port, make sure that the dsl line is installed to the correct side, also make sure that there is a filter on every phone that the dsl line is attached to.

3. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

And Welcome to the TSG Forum!

4. Pizzay

Pizzay Thread Starter

Ive checked the filter over and it is defintely installed correctly and it is a one port. There is only one phone where the dsl line is attached to with the splitter correctly installed, so im just confused as where the problem could lie.

And thanks for the welcome :)!

5. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

drawing a mental picture here:

One line from the wall to the splitter, dsl line in one side of the splitter and the phone with filter is installed to the other, correct?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I have to agree with the evil genius here. There has to be something wrong with the way the splitter is attached. Can you possibly post a picture (drawing) of how things are hooked up? Or try to limn the setup in words at least?

7. diablo75

diablo75

Every phone in the house needs to have a filter on it, including the line being used to feed the DSL modem.

8. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Usually a bad filter or the base station for the home phone is too close to the modem/router if it is a 2.4 GHz phone system. This is especially true if you are running wireless.

Know it is nice to have the phone close to the computer when you are working, but can you move the base station about 10 feet or more away from the modem and see if that helps.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice