1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL Disconnects When Phone Rings

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by IH-Mitch, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IH-Mitch

IH-Mitch Thread Starter

I just got DSL and now everytime the phone rings i get disconnected. When i got it they gave me a Westnel 327 router/ modem and filters for the phones. I have the phone line going directly into the modem/ router, then from there i have a wire running to my linksys N Gigabit 310 router. I have the router shut off on the westnel. Also all phones also have the filters on them.

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be or what to test?

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you still get the disconnects when you take the Linksys router out of the picture?

Try disconnecting all the filters and phones, etc., and have somebody call. If no disconnect then add back one filter and phone or other device at a time.

3. IH-Mitch

IH-Mitch Thread Starter

Yes it still disconnects when i remove the router. I tried the filters and phone and still disconnects. So i went to where the phone line plugs into the house and tried it and it still disconnects so it the service providers problem.

Thanks For the Help

4. itsjusme

itsjusme

Check your ground at the telephone interface outside and follow it back to where it connects to your power panel ground. I have seen the ground clamps corrode in two at the ground rod and cause alot of appliance problems, including telephone. Make sure all those connections are good and tight.Make sure the main breaker is off before removing the ground clamp if thats necessary. Back emf from electric motors running somewhere can kill you if you get in between the service ground and earth ground, especially if someone has wired some receptacles somewhere with the wrong polarity. Call an electrician or the phone co. if you feel uncomfortable doing this.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good trouble shooting. And, of course, I agree with you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/862129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice