1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL download speed sucks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mxion, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mxion

mxion Thread Starter

Apr 18, 2006
    ive got a bellsouth fast access dsl connection but im getting dial up-like download speeds. i did this speed test somewhere online and it says that it is 95% slower than average dsl speed. something like 22 kbps. it takes so long to download anything. any help would be appreciated.
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Mar 23, 2005
    The following was obviously written for a router, but it works if you just have PC connected directly to your DSL modem. I don't know offhand how you set the MTU (if it needs to be changed) in the case of just PC and modem. Most times, I think, the MTU should be 1500 or 1492.

On your router there should be an option for mtu. use this formula.

To find the proper MTU Size, you'll have to do a special ping of the
    destination you're trying to go to. A destination could be another
    computer, or a URL.

1. Click on the Start button, then select the Run option.

2. In the "Open" field type in command (If you're using Windows
    2K/NT/XP use CMD instead)

3. Once the window opens, you'll need to do a special ping. It
    should be formatted:

ping [-f] [-l] [MTU value] [Enter] an e... MTU settings on the router. Or on the modem.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/475606