DSL Freezes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jedfm

I'm running Windows 98, Pent II 333 Mhz, DSL (Earthlink)... I was doin' fine until my local phone line went out. Then, my DSL began to fail (Unable to locate web pages). Tech Support had me reinstall WinPoet and change my TCP/IP properties to get IP address automatically rather than showing a static address (I had 192.168.001.010 with submask 255.255.255.255 ). NOW, I freeze for up to 30 secs. regularly. Driving me nuts! I had the problem a coupla years ago and was given the fake static IP address as a fix. Worked fine until last week when my home phones went out. Can anyone help me???? :rolleyes: :(

dai

can you ping your ip address,default gateway,your dns
try resetting your modem

jedfm

I've reset my modem umpteen times. Don't know how to ping my address. Didn't understand default gateway.... sorry.:(

dai

in the run box type command
at the prompt in the box that opens type
ping 192.168.001.010
or whatever your ip address is and see if you are dropping packets

jedfm

Yep, lost 'em all !!! Guess that means that address is invalide or something?

dai

get in touch with your isp,they should help you run through it,and sought it out

jedfm

Unfortunately, my ISP provider hasn't been a lot of help in this matter, ergo, my posts here. However, I have just upgraded my WinPoet to v4.02 and so far I haven't had any more freezes yet.
However, it's still pretty early on! :confused: Does this make sense?:confused: Thanks so much for your help. 'Preciate it !!:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online