1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dsl Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ridgerunner10, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ridgerunner10

ridgerunner10 Thread Starter

can someone out there please help me? my wife and i live in ohio out in the country where we are finding it very difficult to obtain DSL service. our local phone company which is VERIZON refuses to give us DSL because they say we live too far from their tower or office.
    we have tried looking on line for a provider but no one will help us because of where we live. we live in a small area which is located right outside of the nearest town called CADIZ,OHIO.
    does any one know any company that will supply us with DSL.? we also have satellite tv and we do not have cable any where near so that idea is out. if anybody can help please let us know. thank you

2. tjamnz

tjamnz

It is likely that you do live to far away from a telco central office (hub) and therefore cannot obtain dsl service. The problem is that the telephone company in your area doesnt have the infastructure, such as repeaters (hardware) along the way, that can amplify the signal enough (to your house) to make it worth your while to have such service. So there definitly being honest with you Im sure. Your only options will most likely be dialup service, which is good for browsing web pages and checking email.. but unfortunately not good for downloading large files of any kind, unless you have alot of patience.

However, I do have some good news for you. Some satellite cable, tv service providers or otherwise do provide internet service for 20 bucks-ish a month (minus cable tv and setup fees im sure). This should increase your download speed up to 700kilobits/sec, as opposed to regular dialup which has a maximum download of 56kilobits in theory. (but a little less in reality).

700kilobits per second isnt really that bad considering your options. You could then for instance download an average song in a few minutes as opossed to taking 30 minutes to an hour etc.
    Its about roughly half the speed of many dsl options which have a max of 1.5Mbit per/sec download speed anyways. ( 700kbits/sec is 12.5 times faster than regular dialup rated at 56kbits/sec)

I found a link online that might be useful to you.

http://www.satelliteinternetspecial.com/cj.php?PID=1735461
    HughesNetTM is the high-speed Internet solution that's available to everyone in the contiguous U.S. with a clear view of the southern sky.

Im thinking most satellite providers should be national becuase as long as you can point the dish to the satellites geostationary location, you should be good to go!

Also, you can inquire with regional cable companies and ask them if there planning to upgrade to your area in the near future. Cable internet is much faster than dsl in my experience. On one ocassion I actually downloaded a file with regular comcast cable internet at 15 Megabits per second... It was a huge file (thats 1.9 MBytes/sec). very cool. Even though its rated at just 5 megabits, id have to say the average is about 1 to 2M for most file transfers.

Good luck!

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You need a good real estate agent. :) One that can persuade enough people to move near you that a cable or phone company will want their internet business, or else find another place for you to live. :(

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In your dreams! :D I think you mean 700kbits, not 700mbits! :D

5. tjamnz

tjamnz

That is correct sir... Just a typo.... Ill edit the post thanks

Im blaming it on the lack of coffee this morning.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice