1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL install slowed bootup down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DonW, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DonW

DonW Thread Starter

Just out of curiosity:
    I recently installed and setup my new DSL connection and equipment. Now my system takes almost 3 full minutes to boot up. Once it does it's fine. I was just wondering what's going on during the bootup process that didn't happen before I installed DSL. Any clues?? ....it's not really what I'd call a "problem"...it's more like a annoyance.

2. edals

edals

Who is your DSL with? I have Bellsouth's ADSL and when you install the software that sets up your connections, it also loads (or tried too) two new programs; Connection Manager and an Alcatel diagnostic tool. Now, when I first installed it, even with that software, I never noticed any boot/shut-down time degradation. Did you add any other software, like a firewall like ZoneAlarm. That takes a lot of resources and may add to the boot time too. You can try a diagnostic boot up or check your start-up programs for further info. (Start/Run: type msconfig; go to Start Up )

3. Del

Del

If your ISP uses Access Manager, Connection Manager or such, it is what gets the IP address and such. During bootup, the tcp/ip on the actual network card tries to get to the DHCP server to get an IP address, gateway, ect but you aren't connected and it wouldn't get the IP anyway, the connection manager does.
    You can go to the Start>Control Panel>Network and double click it.
    You should see many 3 tcp/ip's one will be:
    tcp/ip dial up adapter
    tcp/ip some pppoe adapter
    tcp/ip 3com, dlink, or other physical ethernet adapter..
    double click that one, change from "Obtain IP automatically" to Specify IP address.
    For the IP put in '192.168.054.003
    For the subnet put in '255.255.255.0
    Then click OK, then click ok again. and reboot.
    You may need your Windows 95 or Windows 98 disk, it may prompt you for that, depending on how the O/S was installed on your computer.
    Hope this helps,
    Del

4. DonW

DonW Thread Starter

I'm with Bell Sympatico in Ontario Canada....and yes I do have ZoneAlarm installed. But.....I didn't install ZA intil about 2 weeks after I setup my high speed and the computer's boot process slowed down immediately after I set up the HS connection. By the way, my high modem is a USB style and doesn't require a NIC.
    Thanks for your input guys.

5. DonW

DonW Thread Starter

Sorry about the typo's....I could type real well if my fingers didn't get in the way all the time. Thanks again guys (I should say "folks" to be politically correct)

6. Del

Del

Well, I can tell you that you have a NIC. The Alcatel USB modem has the NIC built into the modem. If you look in your Network, you'll see a tcp/ip for Alcatel, that is the NIC built into your Alcatel modem, put the IP address and subnet mask in there.
    I have Sympatico also and know this is right.
    Del

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice