1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL/Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Wrayven1, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wrayven1

Wrayven1 Thread Starter

I need some help!! My internet provider is Comcast Cable(broadband) and I can not get on the internet. Normally, I cut on my computer, I click on the Comcast icon located on my desktop and it takes me to comcast.net. Now, when I click on that icon, I get "page not found". I tried other web sites, same thing. The internet is connected because I ran a "ping" and everything checked out. I just can't go to any webpages. Any ideas on what to do? Thanks!!!

2. e-liam

e-liam

Hi Wrayven1, and welcome to TSG.. :)

Could you please download 'Hijack This!' from http://www.spywareinfo.com/files/hijackthis.zip
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan". When the scan is finished, click "Save Log", and copy and paste it in a reply.

This will give us a rundown of what’s going on in your PC. One of us here will be glad to analyse it for you. Don’t fix anything yourself yet, as a lot of the stuff on that list will be harmless or required.

It's a small program, so as you can't use your PC to download it, go to the working machine (I assume the one you posted here with) and save to a floppy, then run the scan on yours, and save that scan to the floppy to repost on the computer you're using. :)

Cheers

Liam

3. skyman

skyman

Have you called Comcast?...

4. Wrayven1

Wrayven1 Thread Starter

No, I didn't call Comcast because I don't think the problem is with the cable. My computer is connected via a 2 way splitter, the cable out of the wall runs to the splitter, one goes to my computer, the other to the back of my TV. The TV works fine.

E-Liam: I will follow your directions and post the results here. Thanks a bunch.

5. Wrayven1

Wrayven1 Thread Starter

E-Liam: Here's the data from the "hijacker" scan I ran on my computer. Thanks!!!!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 6:12:35 PM, on 10/1/2003
    Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\ClearSearch\Loader.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bargain Buddy\bin2\bargains.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
    A:\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\cidaemon.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: WinShow module - {6CC1C918-AE8B-4373-A5B4-28BA1851E39A} - C:\WINDOWS\winshow.dll
    O2 - BHO: Clear Search - {947E6D5A-4B9F-4CF4-91B3-562CA8D03313} - C:\Program Files\ClearSearch\IE_ClrSch.DLL
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Url Catcher - {CE31A1F7-3D90-4874-8FBE-A5D97F8BC8F1} - C:\PROGRA~1\BARGAI~1\bin2\apuc.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: ISTbar - {5F1ABCDB-A875-46c1-8345-B72A4567E486} - C:\Program Files\ISTbar\istbar.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iedll] c:\WINDOWS\iedll.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [loader] c:\WINDOWS\loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Help (HKCU)
    O9 - Extra button: Support (HKCU)
    O9 - Extra button: ComcastHSI (HKCU)
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/bcd48c18cb7498/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
    O19 - User stylesheet: C:\WINDOWS\Web\oslogo.bmp

6. e-liam

e-liam

Hi Wrayven,

First, could you go here.. http://www.webattack.com/get/cwshredder.shtml and download, then run CoolWebShredder. Then run a new HJT scan, and check to fix the following items. (some may not be there after running the above) ext close all browser windows, and click the Fix checked button...

O2 - BHO: WinShow module - {6CC1C918-AE8B-4373-A5B4-28BA1851E39A} - C:\WINDOWS\winshow.dll

O2 - BHO: Clear Search - {947E6D5A-4B9F-4CF4-91B3-562CA8D03313} - C:\Program Files\ClearSearch\IE_ClrSch.DLL

O2 - BHO: Url Catcher - {CE31A1F7-3D90-4874-8FBE-A5D97F8BC8F1} - C:\PROGRA~1\BARGAI~1\bin2\apuc.dll

O3 - Toolbar: ISTbar - {5F1ABCDB-A875-46c1-8345-B72A4567E486} - C:\Program Files\ISTbar\istbar.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iedll] c:\WINDOWS\iedll.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [loader] c:\WINDOWS\loader.exe

O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?

O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

O19 - User stylesheet: C:\WINDOWS\Web\oslogo.bmp

The red entry can be the result of using the immunize feature in Spybot. If this is not the case, then please include in the fix.

Next could you please reboot into safe mode (see here for info on this) and delete the following bolded files/folders. When you have Windows Explorer open, please go to Tools | Folder Options | View (tab) and make sure that the Show all files radio button is selected.

C:\Program Files\ClearSearch

C:\Program Files\ISTbar

C:\Program Files\Bargain Buddy

C:\WINDOWS\winshow.dll

C:\WINDOWS\iedll.exe

C:\WINDOWS\loader.exe

Then reboot back into normal mode and download Spybot - Search & Destroy, from www.tomcoyote.org/spybot : if you haven't already got the program.

Now press Settings, and Settings again. Go to the Webupdate section, and check "Display also available beta versions".

Now press Online, and search for, put a check mark at, and install all updates.

Next, close all Internet Explorer windows, hit 'Check for Problems', and have SpyBot remove all it finds marked RED.

Then reboot once more and post a new log just to check it's all gone.

Cheers

Liam

7. Wrayven1

Wrayven1 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice