1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dsl internet connectivity suddenly drops

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by eppy, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eppy

eppy Thread Starter

hi,

I have a big problem with an hp brio pentiom pc.
    it is a network computer running win98se, 128mb ram, 500mhz cpu chip. it is a networked pc connected to verizon DSL through a 4- port linksys router which is connected to an SMC switch we have at work. All other computers on the network do not have this problem except for this pc and another dell optiplex gx1 pc with the same specifications as this one.
    What happens is that after 4 or 5 hours the pc's disconnect themselves from the internet and i have to reboot them to regain connectivity.
    it's a pain because on one machine we are running gotomy pc software because we have employees who log on from home and do work. overnight the machines disconnected and we cannot get work done. i have tried to re-install tcp/ip. also diabled any power management on the harddrive within windows and the bios but still disconnects. also forgot to mention both these machines that disconnect after 4 or 5 hours have static ip addresses they are not obtaining any leases from a DHCP server.

please help me;
    joe

2. Rockn

Rockn

Sounds like a DHCP lease renewal. I would call your ISP and ask them why it is disconnecting at that time interval. It also sounds like Code Red symptoms.

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Check the network card configuration. Some cards have a setting to allow the driver to turn off the NIC to save power. 3Com has several different cards that allow this.

4. Del

Del

If you are away from the computer when it's happening, it could be the Power options. If you allow the hard drive to power down after a set period of time, the network card will drop your connection and you have to reboot to get it back. If you are set for the hard drive never to power down or you are on the machine when this happens, it's something else causing the problem.
    Del

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/78936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice