1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dsl is slow

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gaige, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaige

Gaige Thread Starter

I've been having trouble with my DSL and my speed is alot slower than what we're paying for, we have setel for internet and phone and ping times are really high and it's been like this for a few months now, I've called my ISP around 7 or 8 times and within the past 3 weeks and seem very unprofessional, they never sent anyone to come out and look what was going on and everytime they said they were going to they never did until today I talked to a tech who said he'd call windstream (which I guess our internet goes through their servers) and finally called me back and said they had 2 pieces of equipment that were malfunctioning and 1 piece was supposed to be fixed last summer and the other doesn't have an estimated time to be repaired, which my intenet was fine last summer when it supposedly malfunctioned and I also talked to a windstream tech who said there was an outage in my area and doesn't have an estimated repair and I'm wondering what I should do because my friends live close to me and their internet is fine even though they have windstream and with malfunctioning equipment and I have setel for a service provider? Shoud I switch service providers to windstream since my friend's internet seems fine or could they put me on a different server than the one that is being effected?

*Edit* Also the only time I have a decent ping, download and upload speed is around 3 a.m. to around 6 or 7 a.m.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I would talk to the retention team there and start by asking for a refund for the service, during the time is has not been working and the equipment confirmed as faulty, its not performing to agreed levels and they have confirmed that they have faulty equipment , I would then give them a time scale to get the performance back up to the level you are paying for - say 10 working days, and that if they do not do that , you will be changing ISP , as there service is non-performing and they are in breach of contract , you will not be paying any cancellation fees, and expect a refund - I'm not a lawyer, but that would be my stance
    put in an email, writing to the retention team

Of course , if you do not have any competitors in your area , then you are stuck a little

3. Gaige

Gaige Thread Starter

I think I'm going to try this although we don't have alot internet providers in the area, but if they're not able to fix the problems on their end, I'm more than willing to make the switch and thank you etaf for your helpful advice.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice