1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL Modem - no signal or busy signal!? Can't set up

Discussion in 'Networking' started by weatherwitch, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weatherwitch

weatherwitch Thread Starter

My e-mail from AOL last night told me that my broadband had been enabled so therefore they have changed my payment accordingly which now means that anytime online I pay for per minute. The modem and software arrived this afternoon and since 4pm I have been getting more and more frustrated.
    I followed all the instructions, I've done everything as instructed but I cannot get the broadband up and running. When I try and connect with it I get a 'DNS server unreachable or unavailable' error. To fix this I did as instructed, reactivated the connectivity settings which made no difference. I have checked the XP firewall settings and Norton Anti-virus settings, again these are fine. My brain however is no longer fine.

I run the diagnostic checks and these tell me that my phone line is busy. I don't understand this - there is no-one using the phone, which i even disconnected to test, nor do I understand anyway why a DSL connection should report a 'busy' line. I thought broadband was separate to your phone line because of the filter. And yes, i swapped the filter incase that was at fault. It told me to run a BT & and AOL DUN test, gave me the codes to type in following the 'connect' button asking for these codes, except there is nothing like that, just the status box which amazingly tells me that there is "No Signal" (something I figured out hours ago) and the two diagnsostic tests here, which upon trying to start, tell me that the "Phone line is busy. Error 676" There is an AOL Broadband Check-up installer which it tells me that now my broadband is set up will load automatically. It does. It takes me straight to the internet connection bit where it then tells me "AOL UK Broadband Check-Up installer cannot access a download server. Please check your internet connection and try again." If I *had* an internet connection on broadband I wouldn't be having this problem.

I've changed the USB port incase there was a problem with that. It made no difference but although there is a power light on the modem the DSL light only flickered on briefly when I plugged it into the USB on the comp then went off. I have no idea if this is normal. I'm beginning to wonder if there could be a problem with the modem itself or even worse, if my line really isn't broadband enabled because the place is so rural. After all a quick check on BT earlier said once more than "it is highly UNLIKELY that this location will recieve broadband" and the promised letter from BT about working on the broadband etc never did arrive. AOL helpline has been busy all night and closed for the night at midnight, I am now extremely p'd off, I've had to spend several hours online tonight, being charged per minute for the privaledge of downloading upgraded drivers that I already have. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and I am no further forward now than when I started out just after 4pm.

The computer is running AOL 9, XP, Norton and have all the computer requirements to run broadband, and the modem is a BT Voyager 105. I feel I'm running close to insanity here :mad: Is there anything you can suggest i can do or what the problem is? Not one bit of any of troubleshooter mentions busy phone line or no signal :-(

I am utterly at a loss as to what is going on :confused: help?! please :D

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hope I'm wrong, but I really suspect that you do not have DSL. I think it is still true that you need to be within about two miles (3 km?) of the central office. Try calling your telephone provider and see if you can talk to anybody with DSL knowledge.

Same thing happened here in Illinois, USA to a friend a couple weeks ago. The phone company, SBC, sold him Yahoo! DSL, assured him that his 3 miles from office was OK, left him a message on answering machine that he was good to go. I worked with him for an hour or so (changing filters, checking phones, etc.) and couldn't get the DSL light to change from flashing red to solid green. Call to the given toll free # resulting in more tests and then "they didn't turn on some switch." Three days later SBC informed him that DSL is not available in his area.

3. deubanks

deubanks

I have also heard that you have to be within about three miles from the office, but my son lives at least five miles from the nearest town, a small town which probably does not have a phone co. office and they get DSL just fine. So I am not sure haw far away you can be and still get DSL. I just know that in some areas it can be more than three or four miles.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Typically 5 miles would be about the outer limit, it could be less in many cases.
    If there is a DSL enabled "satellite exchange" in between it extends it.

The "Phone line is busy Error 676" suggests that there is no DSL and the computer is (trying to) reverting to dial-up, which is not working.

BT should know.

5. weatherwitch

weatherwitch Thread Starter

Update and thanks :) To all who said, is the DSL enabled? It is. But the phone line is so long it's not working. I'd contacted BT to see if my line was enabled but they weren't able to tell me as their contract is with AOL and not me! AOL then contacted BT wholesale who have contacted me to tell me it's the long line and they're sending an engineer out on Monday to see what if anything can be done. A 'patch' can be done but it still may not work. I am annoyed that AOL were aware of this potential problem both from BT and myself but charged me access fees and dialup call charges because the line was 'enabled.' There's a whole huge difference between enabled and working. Monday will tell. Wish me luck :D

In the meanwhile at my insistance AOL have allowed me free dial-up connection whilst this is ongoing as they damn will should :D What a fuss over something that should be so simple and straight forward :(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/370112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice