1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL MODEM: USB vs ETHERNET CABLE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i set up a DSL modem to a new computer.

although i have a ethernet connection on the DSL and the new computer,i used a USB cable.

should i go buy an ethernet cable and use that instead of a USB or does it make no diffrence?

2. Piringa

Piringa

Um technicallly ethernet is way faster than usb. usb 1.0 only does 300k per second while ethernet does way more. (not sure how much). Then again your internet connection might not be faster than 300k per second. If you have dsl its very likely that you get 765kbps or soemthing like that. I don't know how to translate kbps to kilobits so I dont know how much 300k is in kbps. I do know that I can't use the usb type even though my dsl modem supports both because my connection is much more than 765kbps its 1.5gbps or 1500kbps. I use ethernet because maybe my connection is actually a little more than 300k per second which is what usb 1.0 can do.

ps. Im not an expert but in my case I went with ethernet because well its made for networking and I wouln't wanna use up a usb slot.

Your internet provider should have provided you with an ethernet cable and the usb cable so don't spend your money unless your worried that your connection is slow because the dsl modem is connected through usb.

MMM, McDonald's Oreo McFlurry (its yuuuuuuummy)

3. MCP

MCP

Not only will you be gauranteing yourself better bandwidth, but ethernet is more reliable than USB.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, USB 1.1 is 12mbit/sec, the speed of the USB port is not the issue. Ethernet was designed for networking, all of the commonly available SOHO broadband routers are Ethernet connected, it's the way to go. It'll be a lot more stable, won't disconnect when you print on your USB printer, etc. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice