DSL/Modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dkcwec

Before I begin - I am completely ignorant when it comes to computers and the internet. We recently got DSL, and were told we needed to leave on our modem for a period of time to maximize computer speed. What does that mean? At night I put my computer in sleep mode and do not turn off. Is this o.k.? Do I "X" out of the internet or merely downsize during this period of time? Please help.

They are talking about leaving the actual modem turned on. I don't actually know why they would suggest you ever turn it off. DSL is an "always on" internet connection unless they are using some sort of connection type of software. Don't even worry about what they said...if it works it works.

YOu don't need to leave your browser (Internet Explorer) running in order to keep the connection active.

I would add that a firewall would be good if you are "always on" like many people with DSL or cable. Zone Alarm is a good firewall and their basic version is free.

You certainly don't have to leave the modem on. But like suggested get a firewall. In addition I added a router. It is another layer of defense.

As long as you have a working firewall on at all times you never need to turn off the modem or pc at all. My highspeed modem hasn't been off for over a year now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online