1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL Needs its sleep?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lola_4028, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola_4028

lola_4028 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to enlighten me.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my HP 2.4 GHz, 512 DDSDRAM, with an 80 GB HHD pc. I connect to the internet with a SpeedStream 5200 router and use IE 6.1 to browse.

My problem is that during certain hours (usually between 2am and 6am) I get the 'Unable to open page' message when trying to surf. This has happened consistantly since the begining of March. What is strange is that I am able to load the actual SpeedSteam page. Where I have tried to reboot and/or reset my router and IP address (which works, but doesn't help). I'm also able to ping them successfully, but no other site.

I called the SpeedStream tech support on several occasions. They have tried quite a few different things like resetting the router and pinging (ha ha) as well as having me try to access websites by there IP addresses as opposed to their www's, clearing temp and cookies. They feel that the fact that I can reach SpeedStream but not anyplace else means the problem is with MY pc.

The thing of it is, why does it 'cures itself' after 6am? I should also add that there have been other times when tech support had denied any problem, only to find out from my phone company that a problem actually does exist. When that happened I was given a discount for lack of service. Now I'm starting to think the phone co. is joining tech support to keep from refunding their clients.

I run AVG and update it every day, and scan each night. I also use Trend's Housecalls and Sybot once a week and use Sygate as my firewall. No viruses have been found. Yes, I like free stuff that works :eek:)

Anyone that has anything to offer in the way of enlightenment will be greatly appreciated.

2. gsmitheman

gsmitheman

Sounds like Telco may be running maintenance during slow times. Could be set in the telco equipment and happen automatically. I imagine the learning curve effects each telco and area within at different times.

Switch to cable (if possible). My cable is very reliable. Problems are so rare I'm surprised when they happen (at first I always think it's my machine). Broadband wars in my area. Cable just doubled speed at the same price because DSL is advertising like crazy and under cutting their price by about $13/mo.

DSL is not available to my home (but I am enjoying the increased speed they got me from Comcast).

3. dai

dai

check to see if the adsl link light goes off,i get the same problem in the early hours as they schedule their maintainence during this time,as it is the quietist time.
    if the light is off contact your isp

4. lola_4028

lola_4028 Thread Starter

Thanks guys! No cable available out in Sticksville. Thought of satellite, but sometimes like to surf when it's raining. All my router lights are on when this happens. Flash like crazy when I go to SpeedStream, but very slow when trying other sites. Guess I'll have to try to remember what I did for insomnia before the internet:eek:)

5. steve65

steve65

You should also check your router in case you have access times configured on it.

Steve

6. dai

dai

i would jump up and down on the isp

7. downtime

downtime

I agree with dai. I had a very similar problem that was corrected, I was told they had to enable two way error checking on their end. My provider uses Bellnexxia who they had to jump on to get it corrected. I've seached for an explanation, but found nothing, in any case, my 3 hour gaps between 5-8 pm are gone now.

8. squirrel341

squirrel341

I had the same problem with my dsl through Verizon. i went through 4 months of unreliable service. Finally they ( the phone co.) came out (after 7 different techs) and had to give me a dedicated phone line,and disconnect one phone jack inside my house. If you are close to being "outside" the range the extra line will interfere. Call the phone co. and demand that they repair it and demand a refund....they will give it to you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice