1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL Netopia Router Frequently Disconnects/Hangs

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tech2013, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tech2013

Tech2013 Thread Starter

This is not a computer issue, but more of a modem related problem. Currently, we have AT&T as our DSL provider and we use a Netopia Wireless DSL modem. We're experiencing a series of multiple issues that we cannot seem to diagnose nor can AT&T resolve.

1. The DSL modem frequently disconnects from the uplink, leaving us with a blinking red light that will eventually go green again and then the connection returns. The modem has had its firmware updated and all configurations checked and nothing stands out as to why the connections drops.

2. The DSL connection itself lately has started to come to a crawl, with high latency while playing our online video games. The actual modem itself never resets or disconnects from the uplink, but its as if the modem is confused as to where it should route packets and rather than sending them to the uplink, it acts as tho its caught in a loop. Eventually after 15-20 seconds, we either 1) get disconnected from our game or 2) the lock clears and tons of stuff pass by in the game in quick succession.

We have verified all lines have filters. We have even turned off our cordless phone in the event it was having some issues with the router, and yet the problems persist.

Any help would be appreciated if anyone has any other things we should check to try and resolve this open issue.

Thanks

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:If it is the dsl light that is blinking,I would say it is the modem or a problem with the DSL link.
    How old is the modem?.If ATT supplied,tell them you want a new one.
    Also,I would get a line tech out to verify that the dsl line is clean.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd go one more step and disconnect ALL phone equipment and filters and see if the issue still happens.

4. Tech2013

Tech2013 Thread Starter

The modem is over two years old. The DSL light is the one that turns red and then back to green.

Thanks

5. Tech2013

Tech2013 Thread Starter

We have tried doing this many times and it doesn't really seem to help.

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Make and model of modem?
    Sounds like a modem issue to me.

7. Tech2013

Tech2013 Thread Starter

Netopia 3347-02-1006 and has been recently updated (firmware) to 7.6.1 R9. So far we have not had any issues this far, but was wanting to know if this does become an issues again what can we do/should do?

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok:With firmware update,no more drops ?
    If happens again,I'd get a phone guy out to check the dsl line and for line noise,which could be caused by external or internal line issues. If that passes test,I would think it's a modem issue.

9. Tech2013

Tech2013 Thread Starter

So far we have not had any issues thus far. But thank you so much for all ya'll help and time.

To answer your question.... we have not had any issues after the firmware update.

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

Great.I'll stay subscribed to this thread for a week,and then assumed that it is solved. Fingers crossed..

11. Tech2013

Tech2013 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your kind time and effort. And thanks for staying Subscribe for one week.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/941528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice