1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL Nightmare!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by theacemarker, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theacemarker

theacemarker Thread Starter

I subscribed to SBC DSL 2 months back.Intial 4 weeks was quite OK eventhough the download speeds were nasty. But one evening after some severe thunderstorms my DSL line went nuts. I couldn't get connected to DSL from then on.

SBC shipped me a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem and the following was the modem status :

Power LED : Steady Green
    Ethernet LED : No Light
    DSL LED : Steady Green
    Activity LED : No Light

And the LAN icon shows a redscross over it and a message " a network cable is unplugged ". So at the begining I thought my integrated laptop NIC got fried up and called up SBC DSL support . They ran me through a farce like change ends of Ethernet cable ..or restart the modem or reboot & reinstall updated Ethernet driver . I tried everything and at the got frustrated and bought a new ethernet Adapter which uses USB port tried to connect again with the DSL. But again its the same deal....nothing worked. I called up SBC support again and they finally said something wrong with my system and they cant help.

So I would appreciate if anyone who had a similar experience can shoot me a few words of advice.

- John

System Specifications :

WinXp
    Speedstream 5100 modem

View information about my PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600

Processor
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    Version x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
    Speed 2392 MHz

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Once you verify your NIC and cable are correct, it's time to get tough with the clods at SBC. You're sure you're using the correct cable, not a crossover cable? Do you have a friend or a laptop to test the connection to the modem?

3. kellnz

kellnz

If it started happening after storms you should get your line checked
    Alot of people have had problems with their dsl due to line quality and then the isp puts it on the customer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice