DSL not installing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

-MaDcOw-

I downloaded the DSL (Damn small linux) ISO image on to my Windows XP and wrote the image to a CD and tried to install it on my old comp that had Win ME on it.

It goes through all this installing and then goes to a greyish screen with a black "x" cursor and just sits there.

Any ideas on what its doing?

First things first - did the CD work OK (as a live CD, could you get online) before you tried installing it to the HD?

-MaDcOw- said:
I downloaded the DSL (Damn small linux) ISO image on to my Windows XP and wrote the image to a CD and tried to install it on my old comp that had Win ME on it.

It goes through all this installing and then goes to a greyish screen with a black "x" cursor and just sits there.

Any ideas on what its doing?
If you get that "greyish screen with a black "x" cursor " again, try pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
lynch

-MaDcOw-

Ok I've been reading the DSL forums and I think I've been trying to run it as a live CD this whole time.:eek:

So my question is how do you do a hard drive install? I've just been putting the CD in and rebooting.:confused:

DSL has an installer...

Right click the desktop...something...something....

Search the drop down menu for "hard drive installer"...maybe under "Applications"...

I've done it before, I just don't have a copy of DSL with me right now...can't remember exactly where it is.

-MaDcOw-

I can't right click on the desktop because nothing responds when it gets to that greyish screen.

EDIT: I just went back to it and it has finally got a normal black arrow cursor and the taskbar is there but when I tried right clicking nothing happened and then about 1 minute later it said "waiting for x server to shutdown":confused:

I'm not sure that you have a good download. It should have booted right up to a nice, neat desktop, with icons and everything...
Then you would right click on the desktop to get a menu where you can find the install options.

lynch's suggestion is to kill the X server so that you can access the kernel.

If the X server fails to match your video setup you won't have a desktop and no hd installation.

With a kernel you can edit the x server configuration and restart X server again, as often as you like.

So do try lynch's suggestion.

That must be a very old version then.

The DSL 2.1 I am running can be dropped from Desktop to command prompt with crtl+alt+backspace. To go from command prompt to desktop is by "startx". Can't swear the oldest DSL 0.83 does the same, unless I install it again.

Most of the Linux I come across respond the same.

I was surprised that the same pair of commands work in BSD and Solaris too.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online