1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL on an office network with Set IP's?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SplashChris, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SplashChris

SplashChris Thread Starter

All,
    My knowledge of networking is limited. I've been asked by a friend to help get DSL working on a small office network. Currently, each of 5 PC's are networked via a hub and have static IP addresses assigned to them. These are the only PCs on the network.

Question 1: Why would someone set up a network this way? Is there a benefit to assigning each PC its own IP?

I ask because I have all my PC's at home connected using a common WORKGROUP name and everything works great. I didn't have to assign IPs.

The DSL tech said that the office is set up as a peer-to-peer (?) and all he could do was run the lines and set up the router, but he couldn't touch the PC's.

Question 2: Depending on the answer to question 1, can't I just set up the office network using a workgroup name and let the router assign IP addresses via its internal DHCP - just like my home network?

Question 3: If yes to number 2, how do I change the existing PC setups to go from assigned IP's to on-the-fly DHCP via the router?

Sorry fo so many question, but I don't want to screw up her office network. At least now all the computers can talk to each other. I need to be sure I can set things back in case of trouble. Thanks in advance!

Chris

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unless you can change stuff like the default gateway and DNS servers, you will not get the Internet access to be functional. You can leave the IP addresses static if they like, but you'll have to change the other parameters.

FWIW, all of your machines in your network also have a unique IP address, you just let DHCP do the work and assign them.

If you are allowed to change the IP scheme, my advice would be to set all the machines to automatically obtain the IP and DNS addresses after connecting the router's LAN port to a port on the hub.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice