Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsl pageloads are slower than dialup

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  saunderwood 
#1 ·
I switched from dialup to SBC Yahoo DSL recently (primarily to take advantage of the higher transfer speeds for music and video files). I am getting good results for regular downloads and p2p but regarding regular netsurfing, about 40% of the time the pageloads are slower than dialup! It is not random; for about 2-5 minutes at a time I will get quick web page turnovers, the rest of the time what happens is not that the new page loads slowly;rather I remain stuck on the old page for up to 45 seconds or longer (very frustrating!) The ISP tech support was no help; they are in India and they barely understood me and their advice (take your modem off the floor; disable your AV and firewall) was farcical. I did do a speed test and was told my speed was good so could it be a browser Issue with dsl? Like i said dialup was much faster and consistent.
I have tried every variable I can think of. AV, no AV, firewall, no firewall. I use no proxy when I surf and all my browser settings are normal. I even Increased the Ram from 64K (bare minimum for dsl) to 192. I use IE 6. Any ideas? Should I uninstall and rinstall IE and if so how do I do it? Might netscape work better? Thank you in advance.

Compaq Deskpro 192 M Ram 400 Mhz Intel PII

#2 ·
Do a search of my posts. Read the one about slow DSL. I had the same problem, but fixed it by tweaking my internet settings. The post contains a link (posted by buf) that is very helpful.

#3 ·
brushmaster1 said:
Do a search of my posts. Read the one about slow DSL. I had the same problem, but fixed it by tweaking my internet settings. The post contains a link (posted by buf) that is very helpful.
Do you have a link for that Brushmaster? I'd like to read it.

Another suggestion slickoe, is to track the time of day that the dsl is slow. It could be that you are in an area that gets heavy server usage. The system may get bogged down by traffic.

I would not suggest reinstalling IE 6 quite yet, unless you have other performance issues. You did not mention any, so a reinstall might be inappropriate at this time.

Mr. P

#4 ·
A really GREAT site to help with is DSLREPORTS click on TESTS in the left frame/column (don't remember which) then click TWEAK TEST..It will guide you through the test and assist in adjusting you setting to get the best speed possible...Don';t overlook the SPEED TEST while there..maybe do one B4 and one after tweaking

#5 ·
Thanks, JW...that is the site I was talking about. In my case, something had reset my RWIN to an unbelievably low value. I adjusted it and problem solved. Other cases, other problems, but the tweak test will help pinpoint the exact cause...

A sad note:
I'm moving, and today is the last day I'll have DSL. I hate going back to dial-up! :(

#6 ·
Another suggestion slickoe, is to track the time of day that the dsl is slow

24/7 for about 40 % of the time the pageloads are slow, then they are good then slow, like in a sine wave pattern, so heavy traffic can't be the issue.

#7 ·
This page described my problem exactly
http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/4617

apaprently it is a problem specific to win98se and NDIS driver issues. It directs to a microsoft tech support page with an exe file to resolve it. Cross my fingers.

#8 ·
SLICKOE
Let us know how it comes out..

BRUSHMASTER1
It's amazing the settings that can get changed on your machine with out any sign/notice/warning..and then we have to find out about it the hard way..As far as DSl/Broadbandreports goes I've yet to find a more helpful,informative site regarding DSL & Broadband

#10 ·
I am still getting the page hang problem but with much less frequency after applying the microsoft fix. I don't know whether to be satisfied or not. The problem that had ocurred 40% of the time now occurs about 20% of the time after applying the MS patch and increasing MTU from 1454 to the max of 1492.. I still feel that for DSL prices I should be getting much better performance or at least have competent tech support available from my ISP. When I contacted SBC tech support today at their toll free number this time instead of getting an outsouced to India tech I got a "tech" who had to "axe" her supervisor about my question regarding the microsoft patch.

#11 ·
Lets have a look elsewhere:

First please get Spybot S&D to clear out most of the spyware.

Short tutorial and download link here:
http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

Fix everything SpybotSD labels in red.

Then after reboot:
Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, load it in Notepad, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

#12 ·
I don't use spybot; I used to but found adaware to be more effective and run it very often. Here is my hijack log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 7:56:35 PM, on 4/22/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\EFFICIENT NETWORKS\ENTERNET 300\APP\ENTERNET.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADSGONE\ADSGONE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 193.255.207.252:8080
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B930BA63-9E5A-11D3-A288-0000E80E2EDE} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {16664845-0E00-11D2-8059-000000000000} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CATCHER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C56CB6B0-0D96-11D6-8C65-B2868B609932} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\XI\NET TRANSPORT\NTIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {000006B1-19B5-414A-849F-2A3C64AE6939} - C:\WINDOWS\BI.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-DFF7-EC6BF4D5FA7D} - C:\WINDOWS\GSIM.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {9C691A33-7DDA-4C2F-BE4C-C176083F35CF} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: ReGet Bar - {17939A30-18E2-471E-9D3A-56DD725F1215} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\REGETDX\IEBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBDetector] C:\USBStorage\USBDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gene USB Monitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMonit.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - Startup: AdsGone 2003.lnk = C:\Program Files\AdsGone\adsgone.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download A&ll by ReGet Deluxe - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CC_All.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Do&wnload by ReGet Deluxe - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CC_Link.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all by Net Transport - C:\PROGRA~1\XI\NETTRA~1\NTAddList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download by Net Transport - C:\PROGRA~1\XI\NETTRA~1\NTAddLink.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: + Offline &Explorer: Download the link - file://C:\PROGRAM FILES\OFFLINE EXPLORER ENTERPRISE\Add_UrlO.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: + Offline E&xplorer: Download the current page - file://C:\PROGRAM FILES\OFFLINE EXPLORER ENTERPRISE\Add_AllO.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield International Setup Player) - http://www.installengine.com/engine/isetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {231B1C6E-F934-42A2-92B6-C2FEFEC24276} (yucsetreg Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yucconfig.dll

Thank you.

#13 ·
Rescan and put a check next to each of these then close all browser windows and click "fix checked"

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B930BA63-9E5A-11D3-A288-0000E80E2EDE} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C56CB6B0-0D96-11D6-8C65-B2868B609932} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\XI\NET TRANSPORT\NTIEHELPER.DLL

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {000006B1-19B5-414A-849F-2A3C64AE6939} - C:\WINDOWS\BI.DLL

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-DFF7-EC6BF4D5FA7D} - C:\WINDOWS\GSIM.DLL

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {9C691A33-7DDA-4C2F-BE4C-C176083F35CF} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: ReGet Bar - {17939A30-18E2-471E-9D3A-56DD725F1215} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\REGETDX\IEBAR.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download A&ll by ReGet Deluxe - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CC_All.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Do&wnload by ReGet Deluxe - C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REGET SHARED\CC_Link.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all by Net Transport - C:\PROGRA~1\XI\NETTRA~1\NTAddList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download by Net Transport - C:\PROGRA~1\XI\NETTRA~1\NTAddLink.html

Then reboot into safe mode and delete :
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REGETDX

also is this proxy server intentionally setup ?
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 193.255.207.252:8080

#14 ·
I deleted those HJ entries but don't see why I should delete the reget program, it is a helpful download manager I still use from time to time. And the problem I had still happens, albeit much less frequently, so with all the changes I have made I am hard pressed to say which one has really done the trick. It seems my performance improved most after applying the above microsoft fix, although it has not gone away completely. I am no novice but neither am I a hardware guru so I am completely stumped. Could It be the Network card supplied for free by SBC? Could it be an el cheapo, with possibly a better one available for me that would work better?

#15 ·
It is certainly beneficial to have the 'hijack this' report out of the way. It easier to resolve a difficult issue if you screen through the more convenient fixes first.

I am going to suggest that you contact SBC again -- but in a different way. If there is an outstanding technical issue related to SBC users in your area, like a cheap card, then there will be other reports of that dissatisfaction.

Instead of calling tech support, call the sales rep that sold the service to you. Go through the phone prompts as a new customer if you have to. From there you can explain the situation that you are having with tech support. The sales rep (or the supervisor) will have an inside track on how to get better tech support, and will be motivated to salvage the account.

It seems beneficial to eliminate SBC from the troubleshooting strategy, because if the problem is NOT caused by SBC, then the focus can be palced on your computer completely. So try again with SBC, and see if you can get into contact with someone you feel really knows what they are talking about. And of course, do not let the salesperson brush you off easily. Let them know you are prepared to terminate service if the issue is not resolved to your satisfaction. That escalates the situation from a 'tech issue" to an 'account retention issue' which is within the domain of the sales department.

Mr. P

#16 ·
That is excellent advice, although because of prior dealings in situations like this, I fear I will just be referred back to "technical support" which will just tell me the results of my speed test are AOK and there is nothing more they can do.

#18 ·
I am not giving up. There is a solution to this somewhere, and it is probably very simple and right under my nose. I think I just need to find someone who had the same problem and see what they did. My machine is kind of an older model and probably SBC tech support is used to dealing with very modern machines. Obviously something very basic is eluding us all. I was not eschewing your advice, but I have contacted SBC on 4 different occaisions regarding this issue and was given different advice each time so I have little confidence in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.