1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL/Phone Line Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vicki_nb, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicki_nb

vicki_nb Thread Starter

I don't know if this is a wiring problem or what. I have 2 phone jacks in my house (one that is not accessible) and I have 3 lines hooked up to one jack. Two lines for telephones and 1 line for my DSL. This setup has been working great for about 3 months.

Today, both of my phones had no dial tone and my dsl was not working. I made no changes to any of the lines or anything. I unplugged them and plugged them back in and everything was working. A little later everything quit working again....basically it was cutting in and out.

I have come to the conclusion that it is not a problem with the phone wires or the phone jack. As long as I unplug the wire for the DSL, the phones work fine. I plug in the DSL and everything quits working.

So I figure it has to do with the DSL modem or something....I don't know. I just know that it's not my phone jack or wires or phones so the problem has to be coming from the modem.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Or am I making no sense at all? LOL.

2. vohoanglam

vohoanglam

Try to seperate your phone lines!
    Use a direct line for you DSL!. If everything working well, then you can try combining your DSL and telephone!
    Try first! and you will know!

3. vicki_nb

vicki_nb Thread Starter

It's definately something to do with the dsl line or modem. I don't know which. Verizon has issued a trouble ticket so I don't know what will come of that.

Now my DSL is not working with the ethernet cable at all. I plugged in the USB cable and am able to use the phone and DSL again. I *think* my DSL runs slower with the USB cable than it does with the ethernet cable so I would like to be able to use the ethernet again.

Do you think a bad ethernet cable would cause you to lose connection in your phone lines? I don't know...I wouldn't think so.

I know this is probably a Verizon problem with wiring problem but I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else before.

4. vohoanglam

vohoanglam

HEY! I meet this before!
    Your LAN's led is off if I were right! And you have to use the USB with 2MB :( ( Instead of 100MB), haven't you?
    So, if these things real, you have to change your router!
    You know! I've try to get in the ADSL router, but nothing happend! By LAN? Impossible, It's was down! USB: can not also!

If you think that your cable is bad! you are realllly a lucky guy, it's very cheap! hehe.
    Change your router is the best way! If you have a way to get in your router, give me a post, Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/266917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice