1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL PPPoE Bridge

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kenputerguru, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenputerguru

kenputerguru Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am setting up a network with DSL that is PPPoE. I have configured the DSL modem as a bridge and set up the Linksys router with a static IP, DNS, and default gateway provided by the ISP. Yet neither computer on the network is receiving an IP address from the DHCP on the router. Thus I am unable to access the Internet. Here is the question: Do I have to configure a network bridge from the LAN to the PPPoE network connection also if the modem is configured as a bridge do I still require the PPPoE username and password since I have a static IP configured on the router that should be already set in the domain and DNS. If there is anyone who has set up a DSL network through PPPoE and can provide some directions to get my network connected to the Internet it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. CagedFury

CagedFury

uggh. Where to start.

I think the best bet here would be to clarify your configuration, one step at a time. There is so much in your post that I'm having a hard time following what is and isn't working.

Are your client machines getting a DHCP address from the router? Do they have a gateway address? Do they have the proper DNS address? What addresses/which devices can you ping?

In short, what DOES work?

3. Cwolly

Cwolly

Head into the Linksys config and set it up so that it accepts PPPoE, and enter your username and password. You do need to authenticate in the Linksys router because that is your access to the outside world.
    Good luck,
    Cwolly

4. Dingenium

Dingenium

I wouldn't have setup the dsl mdm as bridge. I would have left it in PPPoE, and then setup the Linksys as DHCP. HOWEVER, you must change the IP address on the Linksys router to something other than the 192.168.1.1 --- the reason is because the DSL mdm you are probably using (the SpeedStream 5100 with 5 lights), has an IP address of 192.168.0.1. So, you must setup the mdm first, and then worry about the router afterward.

This should work for you.

5. CagedFury

CagedFury

Excellent starting points indeed. :)

6. kenputerguru

kenputerguru Thread Starter

Hello and thank you for all the replys. The answer turned out to be one simple and one stupid. The simple answer was the origional DSL connection to the workstation was connected with a cross over cable and I replaced it with a straight through to the router the stupid was that the DSL provider after providing a static IP than reset their system to use the PPPoE. Once reset to use the static IP all issue were solved. Thank you again. (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice