1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL problem downloading stalls SBC Yahoo

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jameso321, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jameso321

jameso321 Thread Starter

I am a tech and I was working on my friends computer.

He is using SBC Yahoo DSL in Connecticut.

His computer has been nuked yesterday and I did a complete new setup for him for software.

His DSL has not worked correctly for a few months now as it stalls on downloads.

Basically if you somewhere like download.com to get something like Adaware, the download starts and at some point it will stop. If you are lucky, in 30 minutes or so it may start back up and finish the download.

I tested his system on my home network which is driven by Cable and it works like a dream. I tested it before I nuked it and after I nuked it.

The technical support staff for SBC Yahoo is pretty typical as they constantly dont want to help and its pulling teath to get them to check other things besides the computer itself.

1. Computer was nuked and tested with my Cable modem network - works great.

2. We replaced the network cable at his house that goes to the DSL modem just in case there was a bad cable. I have a $600 lan cable tester and both the cables were tested and passed.

3. SBC Yahoo DSL support just gives us a hard time at this point

DSL Hardware: Speadstream 5100
    part number # 060-E142-A01

Any thoughts?

jameso

2. natcom

natcom

open a cmd window do tracert www.yahoo.com tell me what you get and is there a router on this setup ?

3. jameso321

jameso321 Thread Starter

No router involved on this particular setup.

I will go over there today and get the results of the tracert to yahoo.com

Thanks,

jameso

4. natcom

natcom

ok I wait for the results also make sure that there are filters on all the telephones on the house as that can be one of the cause.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!