1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL Questions regarding installation

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack1000, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I am running Windows 98. When I get my DSL hooked up, is it ok for me to go under "Dial-Up-Networking" and remove my dial up connection? Could I also keep this connection as a back up? If the DSL goes down could I still connect through dial-up if I decided to keep the connection, or would I get some kind of error message if I did that?

I am getting my DSL modem soon. The sales guy said all you have to do is plug it in and it is really easy to do. Is there anything else that I would need to do or know about regarding the installation of the DSL modem?

Jack

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its quite OK to keep the dial-up connection. Set IE (tools - internet options - connections) to never dial a connection.

I would recommend not connecting the phone line to the dial-up modem unless you need to use it though. It stops any rougue dialers taking over and costing you a lot of money.

3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Actually, I want to get rid of the dial-up altogether because it has been causing me so many problems. I spent yesterday getting rid of a bunch of spyware using Adware and Spybot S & D. The system's clean according to both programs, except I do get my dial-up modem dialing up on boot-up instead of when I open IE. But, I am not worried about it because I can just junk the dial up and set IE to never dial a connection. But, you know when I did that as a test, IE said it was unable to find the page that I requested. I hope that the DSL modem will just overide the auto-dial problem on my dial up. I just figure that if I junk my dial-up connection that there should be nothing to dial....right?

Is there a way in Windows 98 to just turn off your dial up so that it doesn't happen on start-up? It seems like such a simple thing to do and I can't find the answer anywhere.

Jack

4. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Question? What is a rougue dialer? What I have now, is the dial-up connected to the phone line and haven't even taken the DSL out of the box. My Windows 98 system is just dialing my Internet connection at bootup, and I would like that to only do it when I open IE. This happend yesterday, when I discovered the spyware and got rid of it.

Jack

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!