1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL router v. Satellite

Discussion in 'Networking' started by caron1959, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caron1959

caron1959 Guest Thread Starter

Am somewhat a newbie at this, so sorry if this question is bothe confusing and annoying. Have set myself up with a Linksys router on my host PC and networked with my Vaio notebook so I now share my internet connection. Having had a taste of being remote, I want to take the next step and go satellite, making my notebook truly wireless.

How does this work? What do I need to add to my existing set up or replace it with? Having JUST begun to research this -- and not even knowing the "right" terminology to search with -- I don't know what the next/first step is. The tidbits I started to get for hits were thngs like a $700. dish, or more, nothing about what kind of router(s) or kind PCMCIA card.....can I use the existing one I bought for my wireless set up or????

Am completely confused and have no idea where to start. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

caron1959

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you'll still have a base station, big antenna, receiver, and wires (or a wireless hub) to the machine, what exactly do you think the satellite hookup buys you? Personally, from all I've heard, DSL or cable modem has a better uptime than satellite, not to mention for the same bandwidth, it's cheaper.

3. caron1959

caron1959 Guest Thread Starter

What I think it will buy me is further connection availability at my home --- 4 acres -- can only make it so far from the base/host PC. I also had visions of bringing my Vaio to the office without needing my network software loaded, the airport, my car.....more porability in general, no limitations, period; to be able to be on line wherever and whenever I want to be without having to rely on finding an available line. Is this not what a satellite connection will afford me?

Thx - caron1959

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Not even close! A satellite connection is as fixed as any other broadband connection! You need your antenna, mounted in a precise orientation to access the satellite feed, it is connected to a receiver that has your network connection. Those components are no more portable than your broadband cable modem, and almost certainly less reliable! :rolleyes:

As far as taking your laptop on the road and using your satellite connection, you're about 10 years too early for that. :) That is a dream that's talked about a lot, but it's a long way from happening. As far wireless around the property, there are higher priced wireless repeaters that will give you more range, but nothing like you're dreaming of.

5. Del

Del

Ya, about the closest you could come to what you want, would be dial up and connect via cell phone.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice