1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL Sign On

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wishiknew, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wishiknew

wishiknew Thread Starter

I recently started using Verizon DSL. They have a sign on screen now that requires a username and password, then you click whatever browser you use and home page appears.

I like to put my pc in stand by mode when not using it. My problem now is when I come out of stand by then enter my username and password I am getting a generic message from the Verizon sign on that there is "some kind of problem". Spent an hour on the phone with Verizon rep checking connections/setting/etc. - all looks fine. They could only suggest calling the pc manufacturer and asking if "stand by mode" effects any hardware/programs - said not to mention operating system then they would say call Microsoft. In order to get connected to the net I have to power off, wait a few minutes, power up and all is fine. Naturally I would prefer being able to sign back on after the pc comes out of stand by mode.

The Verizon rep did ask about anything strange in start-up - I don't see anything odd.

Anyone else with same/similar situation ?? Any ideas/help ??
    Thanks to all. :)

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I can suggest you update your virus scanner & run it... or better yet .. go to Housecalls & run their free scan.
    Then I also suggest you download & run Ad-Aware to make sure you are free of spyware.
    You might should go to run & type in msinfo32 & click on the plus in software enviroment & then click on startup programs....
    highlight the top item then hold the shift key down & highlight the bottom one... this should highlight them all ... then copy & paste the list back here.

Savvy :)

3. edals

edals

What kind of computer are you using, laptop or desktop? My laptop actually has multiple types of suspend modes, that is why I ask. Also, what kind of modem and how is the connection established? External or internal? USB or CAT5? .....and finally :) does it use a dial-up networking connection or is it "always on"?

4. Rockn

Rockn

You might want to check your network card settings as well and make sure there is nothing set for wake on LAN active. I would also go into the BIOS settings to ensure it's not enabled there either.

5. wishiknew

wishiknew Thread Starter

SavvyLady:
    Software from setup:
    Flashpath Status Startup Group C:\SMARTDSK\FLASH\FLSHSTAT.EXE
    Updates from HP Startup Group "C:\Program Files\BackWeb\BackWeb\Program\backweb.exe"
    Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run) RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
    MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe /background
    Mirabilis ICQ Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\ICQ\ICQ.exe -minimize
    MoneyAgent Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    Keyboard Manager Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
    TCASUTIEXE Registry (Machine Run) TCAUDIAG.EXE -off
    Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Easy CD Creator\DIRECTCD.EXE
    CIJ3P2PSERVER Registry (Machine Run) CIJ3P2PS.EXE
    CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
    VsStatEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSSTAT.EXE /SHOWWARNING
    LIU Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\LOGITECH\QUICKCAM\RUBICON.EXE
    HPScanPatch Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
    hpsysdrv Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    USBMMKBD Registry (Machine Run) usbmmkbd.exe
    CompaqPrinTray Registry (Machine Run) PrinTray.exe
    DXM6Patch_981116 Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\p_981116.exe /Q:A
    LVComs Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\SYSTEM\LVComS.exe
    TaskPlus Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\TASKPLUS\TASKPLUS0.EXE
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    WinPoET Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\VerizonDSL\WinPoET\WinPPPoverEthernet.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Hidserv Registry (Machine Service) Hidserv.exe run
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    Encompass_ENCMONTR Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Easy Internet\ENCMONTR.EXE
    McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe /RUNSERVICES
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    AccessRampLAN 01 Registry (Machine Service) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\VERIZONDSL\IPINSIGHT\ARUpld32.exe" -l
    AccessRampMonitor 01 Registry (Machine Service) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\VERIZONDSL\IPINSIGHT\ARMon32a.exe"

Can u make sense of the above?
    I did do Ad-ware -- nothing found - will do Housecall.

Edals - I am using a destop - HP Pavilion

Rockn - not sure how to check network card settings and/or BIOS

Thanks for the replies. :) :)

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Is this what you have in startup or is this setup...

go to run & type in msinfo32 &

click on the plus at software enviroment & then

click on startup programs....

copy them & paste it back

Savvy :)

7. wishiknew

wishiknew Thread Starter

SavvyL -- sorry, that is what is in startup - not setup. Thx

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

No wonder you're having troubles...

Give me a few mins to complete a list of things you need to take out of start up

actually Im going to have someone look at this.... there is far far far to many items here to be startup.

Savvy

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

First take a look at Rockn's suggestion....

Second, do you REALLY want all that stuff starting each time you start the computer?

Once you start the computer, right click on my computer, properties, performance tab.....what do you resources look like?

Also, it would be helpful if you would post what 'some kind of problem' means.

10. Rockn

Rockn

LOL.....wonder it runs at all! The BIOS is the system setup prompt you see when your PC reboots. It usually prompts you to press a certain key like F10 or Del to enter setup.

11. wishiknew

wishiknew Thread Starter

Hi Repliers (is that a word?, ha ha)

System performance is at 42% - I know that is low and there is stuff in startup I don't need, but don't know what to remove.

The "some kind of problem" was really generic, the Verizon rep said it could be just one little file/etc. out of place - they could not pin-point it at all.

I do appreciate the response/help so far. I can live with it the way it is, but it sure "bugs me" (excuse the expression).

I guess the help I need now is what to remove from startup and go from there.

Thx again All

12. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You're going to have to remove some of that you listed from your start up menu... do me a favor & hold down Alt-Ctr-Del.. all at one time.... Don't you see in that there is alot you do not need loaded at the turn on of your computer. I mean you don't need it all on at the same time...

ok do this...
    Go to start/run/type in msconfig/
    click ok
    click the startup tab
    Look at all the stuff you have there thats opening each time you log on.
    Take checks from things so it won't startip automatically. ( this is no way removing it from your system)
    After you finish taking checks out... then click APPLY then OK... reboot & see if its helped.

Look for things to uncheck like this :

Updates from HP Startup Group "C:\Program Files\BackWeb\BackWeb\
    Program\backweb.exe"

Taskbar Display Controls Registry (Per-User Run)
    RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY

MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) C:\
    Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe /background

RealTray Registry (Machine Run)
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER

Mirabilis ICQ Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\ICQ\ICQ.exe -minimize

whats this ? USBMMKBD Registry (Machine Run) usbmmkbd.exe

& this ? CIJ3P2PSERVER Registry (Machine Run) CIJ3P2PS.EXE

& this ? TCASUTIEXE Registry (Machine Run) TCAUDIAG.EXE -off

& this ? Flashpath Status Startup Group C:\SMARTDSK\FLASH\FLSHSTAT.EXE

13. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

DID YOU EVER RUN THE* VIRUS SCAN *and the *spyware scan*.........SUGGESTED TO YOU THIS MORNING?

Savvy

14. Del

Del

I've heard of folks having this problem before, they have the power settings to turn off hard drive after 20 minutes or so. I think standby is doing the same thing. What may be happening is the netword card is dropping the connection and I think you have to reboot to reconnect and get online.
    Next time it happens, reboot and if you can connect normally, try not using the standby mode. Just turn off the monitor and leave it at that.
    And your startup menu looks like it would take an hour to get to your desktop. You should look into manually starting the programs you don't use that much.
    Hope this helps you,
    Del

15. wishiknew

wishiknew Thread Starter

I eliminated some items from my startup menu and now when I reach the desktop, r click my computer and check performance I am at 90% - this does drop some.

I tried running Housecalls and twice I've gotten the IE error that they encountered a problem and needs to shut down. I also downloaded IE 6.0 yesterday.

Am learning to live with just shutting off the monitor and keeping my internet connection on at all times - I do shut down at night & power on in the a.m.

Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions/help - do appreciate it :)

But if anyone has another will take that too !!! Did not do anything about the Network card or BIOS -- unsure how -need further instructions -- thanks again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice