1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL Simultaneous Log-Ons, catch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vermea, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

I was looking up pricings on my ISP's website for DSL, and we already have 1 DSL account in the house. On the site is says that Simultaneous Log-Ons are $5 extra a month. That sounds like a pretty damn good deal, but it's kind of vague if you ask me. So I came here, you guys are VERY trustworthy in your advice. So here's my question. If I paid them the extra $5 a month, would I get DSL on my other computer in my house, and if so, would I need any extra hardware, ie router, switch, hub, ect? or will they do all that for me when i pay them the $5. I guess my question is really will it cost me more than $5 in the end? :)

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Different ISPs handle it differently. You'll just have to ask them.

Personally, I use an 8-port router. It gives me both local area network and internet connectivity on up to 8 computers at no additional monthly cost from the ISP. The cost of the LinkSys router on the internet was $85; but, you can get 4-port ones a little cheaper.

3. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

Well what are the possibilities? I would like to know what I should prepare for. If i can get away with just $5, that'd be great. I could do the router thing, but that's a bit more than I like to spend lol. I'm broke...and cheap, great combination.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is a no-brainer. $5/mo for a year is $60/yr, and $40 buys you a broadband router. In 8 months, you'll be putting money in your pocket. Which would you rather do? :rolleyes:

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sure the 2nd account is $5 a month, but thats $60 a year, where as a router is about $85 once and you can create an in-home network where users can share printers, files, and share the internet. In the long run the router is a cheaper and better investment.

6. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

But the thing is I can do $5 a month. I cannot do $85 straight up. So you see it's not a simplicity thing, it's a finanial thing. I dont pay for my internet, my parents do (I'm only 17) I can do the whole router thing, but I'm trying to get them to put me on their DSL and I wanted to know if I could do it without all the routers and such, if I could make it as simple as possible. Not that I COULDNT do it with the router...it's just that I don't want to. Besides, i'm already saving them money, right now they pay for the phone line and the internet access, something like $25 a month. If i could do the $5 extra a month, i'm already saving them $20 a month :) so there we go. So if i paid $5 extra a month, would they provide me with everything and would they set it up?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I have no idea if the $5/mo gets you anything but a second IP address from the DSL provider, but I doubt it. I don't understand the comment about "all the routers and such". It's a simple box that actually does a lot for you! It provides firewall protection for all the computers, networking between them, all seamless and very easy to install and configure. As far as $85 for the router, you shop in the wrong places, try Pricewatch. The part that really kills me is you don't mind having them pay $25/mo for the current rig, but you can't see the logic in having them pay $40 one time for the router! I'm glad that even the slowest of my kids had the sense to see the logic in that kind of arrangement!

With the logic supplied here, I think I'm out of this thread, I'm about to say something crass, I can't hold it in any longer! :rolleyes:

8. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

Okay, so I've taken your advice. I'm going to buy a router, on pricewatch they're listed at DSL/Cable Routers. So I'll buy one and then set it up. I know how the hardware configuration goes, but the software part I'm not too familiar with. Is there anyone that can show me a site or maybe email/post the steps i need to take on setting it up? I'm aware that it will be slightly different on each router, but you can at least give the general things I need to do. Thank you very much.

OH yeah, my email address is [email protected] if you choose to email me.

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there Vermea...

I don't know which router you intend to buy, but I have a Linksys BEFSR41 on a cable connection and currently have 4 pc's all sharing the same connection, hook up was real easy as the router is also a DHCP server...

What I would do if I were you, is to check with the DSL provider and see if it is DHCP, or if it is assigning an IP via the MAC address of the Network Interface Card ( Static IP ), this should tell you which router to get ( the one I have will let you clone the MAC address )...

10. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

Well, I was planning on buying a U.S. Robotics Broadband Router. Would you recommend this? Do you know if it will work? I was told that if i buy a dsl router it should come with instructions on how to set it up, i hope that is true because I really would have no clue what to do :) Anyhow, thanks for your help. I try to find out the specs on the ISP ect.

11. Jtoast

Jtoast

keep in mind that your ISP CAN tell if you are using more than one comp..even with a router.

I know swb closes/tracks certain ports on business accounts in my area just for that reason.

12. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

LoL But i asked emailed TDS.NET and asked them ahout it and they told me to just get a router...so apparently they either DON'T care, or they just dont feel like messing with the people :)

13. Vermea

Vermea Thread Starter

Here's the email they sent me:

how cool is that?

14. torgo

torgo

I use TDS DSL and have three computers running through a microsoft MN 100 router (about $60.00) at www.tigerdirect.com
    it works great and you can share printers etc... between the systems.

15. exocet

exocet

Instead of paying 5 bucks a month for a second account, get the router. If you dropped 40 bucks on the router instead, imagine that it will have paid for itself within 8 months.

Routers are our friends..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice