1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL to Netgear router... PLEASE help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jetprop08, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jetprop08

jetprop08 Thread Starter

I have tried everything I can think of. I have called At&T and Netgear to try and solve my issue. I am of average brain power, so yes it is plugged in, yes I ran the setup wizard etc. Just wondering if anyone may have any other thoughts I have not come up with yet. Just to be clear, all I am trying to do is hook a Netgear router up to my existing DSL connection, to go hard wired and wireless. Everyone keeps telling me how easy it is supposed to be, yet no answers. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you could give.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi jetprop08, and welcome to TSG,

I have had AT&T DSL for years and am currently using the Speedstream 5100 modem. I have a Netgear WGT624v3 wired/wireless router connecting to it with no problems.

You say you have issues but you never clearly state exactly what those issues are. Do you get error messages when trying to go tot a web site? Does the computer report network connection errors? Can you access the Netgear router's administration pages?

Does your modem handle the PPPoE authentication (username & password logon) internally or does the modem expect the external computer to handle it?

3. jetprop08

jetprop08 Thread Starter

I guess I could have mentioned some details.

First of all when I setup the router using the CD it guides me all the way until the end where a web page is supposed to load and does not. I just get the typical message you get if there is no internet connection.

I have tried to access the admin page using routerlogin.net and 192.168.1.1 both. Each time it loads a blank page as mentioned above.

I have even tried in despiration hitting the reset button on the back of the router so as to get the default page that states "you are connected to your router". However when I try and select next nothing happens. The Netgear header stays on the top of the page but nothing happens.

I am not sure if the modem handles PPPoE I am sure it must, not sure how to check it though.

By the way the router is a WRG614 v6 and the modem is the silver motorola that came with the connection.

4. jetprop08

jetprop08 Thread Starter

After a little investigating I found by logging into the modem it takes the user name and password in the modem setup. So it must support PPPoE right?

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the modem is showing that your username and password are stored in the modem, it means that we probably do not need to worry about any PPPoE software on the computer getting in the way of your connecting to the router.

I am going to assume that you are using a computer that can connect to the Internet OK when connected directly to the modem and have problems when adding the router to the path. Can you please give us the full IPCONFIG results for both when the computer is having problems when connecting to the router and for when you have a working connection directly to the router. If you are not familiar with using IPCONFIG, here is a link to a post by JohnWill that explains how to use the command and how to save a copy the results to the clipboard:

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/766883-can-t-connect-wirelessly-wire.html#post6253526

Just a quick thought that I am sure AT&T support would have covered; did you power cycle the modem when adding the router?

I am not knocking the people or quality of information here at TSG but you may find a higher concentration of expertise for your particular problem at www.broadbandreports.com . I have been a long time member there since it was an all free site. I believe that they still offer some level of free membership.

6. jetprop08

jetprop08 Thread Starter

Yes I tried powering down the modem before I added the router. And yes the internet works fine when the computer is connected directly to the modem.

***without router
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-91-AC-20
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 09, 2008 8:54:42 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 10, 2008 8:54:42 PM

***with router

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-91-AC-20
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 09, 2008 8:54:42 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 10, 2008 8:54:42 PM

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

If your modem is a router also,special config may be necessary to include the netgear.
    Here are some tips from this forum. Hope it helps.

Johnwills tips on Connecting 2 broadband routers together..

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).
    _

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you sure that those are two different IPCONFIG results for when the computer only is connected directly to the modem and then when only the modem has the router is connected to it and the computer is connected to the router? Everything down to the DHCP lease times are identical.

EDIT: pedroguy, I am not sure how much, if any, of JohnWill's information on connecting two soho routers applies in this case. That information is more for running two routers in parallel to increase the number of LAN ports or adding a wireless access point to the LAN. The second router is just configured to use its LAN switch section.

I am going to assume that jetprop08 is connecting the modem to the WAN / Internet port on the router.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your "modem" appears to be a modem/router combo with LAN address 192.168.1.254.

To configure the Netgear router you will need to connect to it without having it connected to your modem/router. Either change its LAN address to use another subnet (e.g., 192.168.3.1) or else configure/connect per the JohnWill recipe that pedroguy posted.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice