1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL w/ 5 IPs for 7 computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eyecool, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eyecool

eyecool Thread Starter

Hi, I have 5 IP address and need to network 7 computers.

Currently, I have 4 computers with fixed IP addresses and 1 router using the 5th IP.

The router with the last IP is serving the last 3 computers, but these computers can't access the shared files or printer on the IP network!

Am I crazy for thinking the PC's on the router should be able to access the IP network's shared files and printers?

All computers are on the same workgroup and have the same host mask, 255.255.255.248

Any advice on how to get the 3 computers on the router to have direct access to the IP network?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yes, you are crazy to think they could see the other computers. :D

Unless you have a specific reason for using the fixed IP addresses, you could just attach all the computers to the router and use the single address.

Second option is to setup a Linux system as a router, you can do what you like with that setup.

Finally, if the computers are running W2K/WXP, you could probably put a second NIC in the computers not on the router them and just run NETBEUI on it for file sharing, connect that NIC in each computer to the router.

3. scottosan

scottosan

THe first thing you need to do is get all of the PC's on the same subnet, if you are not running a domain. I suggest putting all of your PC's on the private network via the router. Also Change you subnetmask to 255.255.255.0 There is not advantage to having such a small subnet(.248) on a private network, not to mention it will only allow you to have 6 hosts.

4. JohnWill

If you look, his problem is that he's directly connected with multiple IP addresses from his ISP. Since he has more computers than the ISP's IP address allocation, he can never get them all on a single subnet without a router and some address translation between them.

5. scottosan

scottosan

He said he has a router, so I suggested he put all of the PC inside the private network of the router and change the subnet mask to accomodate more than 6 PC's and I'm pretty sure his router will have some sort of NAT

6. JohnWill

If you check the second message in the thread, I already suggested putting them all on the router. :)

7. eyecool

eyecool Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help!

TSG Forums ROCK!

One of the computers is a server that requires a fixed IP. Unfortunately this server also has the 2 network printers attached to it, and all other computers share these printers.

Also, everyone likes having their fixed IP because it makes it easy to remote connect.

It could be a major headache to run everyone off the same IP, including the server and its IP required application.

=/

8. eyecool

eyecool Thread Starter

Hmmm, with 2 network cards in the XP Pro "server" computer, can I bridge the IP network to the router network?

All I want to do is be able to share files and print among computers on both networks.

9. JohnWill

You can have a fixed IP on your router, you don't have to put everything in the DHCP pool. I still think you need to put everything on the LAN side of the router if you ever want it to work properly.

Do you really want to bridge your internal LAN to the Internet?

I re-read your first message, is this a part of a larger LAN, and you're trying to stick a router in the middle? Perhaps you should be much more specific as to what the environment is if you expect constructive answers.

10. eyecool

eyecool Thread Starter

No, this is a single, 7 computer, small office lan, with only 5 ips and no "network server", just 4 ips on 3 computers and the 5th ip on the router.

There is no internal network server, but there is a stand alone computer that no one sits at being used for file sharing, printers and an inter office application.

11. JohnWill

Why do you need discrete Internet IP addresses?

I really don't think you want to go around the router with a bridged connection, but that's just my opinion.

12. eyecool

eyecool Thread Starter

You're right.

Need IP addresses for remote connecting and the server app.

Called SBC this afternoon and ordered a block of 13 ips.

Case closed.

Thx for your help!

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Why do you want all your pc's to have Internet routabe IP address. Why cant you hook up your dsl modem to a Router and then hide your Lan behind the Router with NAT. Looks to me like you are wasting money and opening yourself up to every hacker in the world.

If you need remote connecting setup an ftp server on your lan and let your users get there files from there. Or setup a VPN.

14. scottosan

scottosan

As long as you router had a public IP address, you could have created a staic routing pattern to access you server app remotely

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice