1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSL wall plate cable replacement

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Seanm321, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seanm321

Seanm321 Thread Starter

Warning: possible stupid question ahead.

Recently, my dog chewed through the cable that connects my DSL modem to the wall plate in my home. I'm not a cabling aficionado, so I went to a local electronics store and asked one of the techs where I could find a replacement. He told me that I would just use a regular ol' phone cord.

Well, it just so happened that I had an extra laying around and plugged it up; now my connection speeds have dropped...significantly. More than that.

I did a small bit of research online, but as I'm not familiar with much about cabling, I'm not sure what cord I need to get. The replacement I'm currently using is long and flat and has a terminator with 2...pins(?), as to where the one that was chewed was more round and not-as-long and had a terminator that looks like this with 4 pins.

If need-be, I can post pictures...but really I just need to know what cable I need to purchase in order to get my DSL speed back up to normal.

Again, this is from the wall plate to the modem, not the Cat5 from the modem to the router.

Thanks for any help!

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I have seen those 2 pin phone cables, they are oddball, go buy a 4 pin phone cord from a local retailer.

3. Seanm321

Seanm321 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Does it make a difference whether it's round or flat or anything like that? I read a post on here from a while back where someone had mentioned that the cable that goes from the wall to the modem should not be flat and should be "twisted pair." I didn't know phone cords came in this styling, but he had stated that flat cables that aren't twisted pair cause major declines in speed, reliability and stability of the data flow.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

All the dsl modems I have deployed use regular phone cords.

Sounds like bs to me, since the phone lines inside/outside the house are not twisted pair.

Use a good quality 4 wire flat phone cable.

5. Seanm321

Seanm321 Thread Starter

I'll give it a shot! Thanks again for the reply, I'll respond later with results.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do NOT use a flat cable with DSL, that is BAD ADVICE! You need a DSL certified cable. Flat phone cable will cause all sorts of crosstalk with the DSL, and the longer the cable is, the worse the problem will become!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice