1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DSO (Data Source Object) Exploit keeps coming back

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by RickBoesch, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RickBoesch

RickBoesch Thread Starter

Hello all. I'm seeing some things/behavior with my PC that I don't understand and I'm afraid it's because of malicious software, and I'm hoping someone might help me out. I'd be extremely greatful.

I'm using Windows XP Professional, IE 6.0

Summary of symptions:

1) When I run msconfig and click on the startup tab there is an item that has a blank in both the Startup Item and the Command fields, and it has the following string in the Location field: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer... (it doesn't allow me to read to the end, even with the scroll bar to the right). Is this blank entry indicative of something nasty?

2) When I click on Start->Turn Off Computer, the window comes up with the Restart button on it. If I don't click on Restart but just wait a few seconds, my backgroud blue screen fades to grey. I don't remember that being normal.

3) On some reboots, when my desktop comes up, it suddenly disappears for a few seconds (that whole screen turns black), and then comes back.

4) Upon reboot my McAfee Security Center status icon (lower right) comes up active, then it turns off for a few seconds, then it comes back on as active and stays that way.

5) Sometimes when navigating within my Windows Explorer, all my desktop icons suddently refresh (they all become some standard default picture, and then all the normal pictures come back).

What I've done to troubleshoot

I've scanned my machine with McAfee Viruscan, McAfee AntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, CWShredder, Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot. Every application now comes up clean (some spyware was there in the past and these tools helped me get rid of it) except Spybot. Only Spybot finds a DSO Exploit containing 5 registry changes that I ask Spybot to fix. After I fix them they always return, i.e. when I rerun Spybot, either in the same session or on reboot, it finds them again.

Here is what Spybot finds:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

There are four other strings it finds that are similar to this one. In one of those four strings, the 18 appears as a 20, in another the 18 appears as a 19, in another the S-1-5-18 appears as DEFAULT, and in the fourth the S-1-5-18 appears as S-1-5-21-1236058889-3020973810-2450934598-1008

These things never stay fixed but end up returning (either in the same session or on reboot). And since I'm experiencing odd behavior, I'm guessing it's the cause, though I don't understand enough of all this to be sure.

Further thoughts I had (but I honestly have no idea if they are the correct way forward) are:

1) Follow the directions in one of the threads about manually enhancing CWShredder.

2) Reinstall the operating system. (I've never done this before and I'm not sure I'll create more problems by doing so, or even fix the problems I'm currently having.)

By the way, when I clicked on Spell Check before submitting this thread, it caused a blank window to come up. In the top banner of the window it said "about:blank - Microsoft Internet Explorer". Isn't about:blank a piece of adware that should have been removed by all those scans?

I'm really at a loss of what to do next. Can someone help? Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks very much,
    Rick

2. KrashedKris

KrashedKris

"DSO Exploit" was a program glitch in Spybot that was fixed approx. 1-2 months ago either by a program upgrade from version 1.2 to 1.3 or by a definitions update - I can't remember which now - but if you ensure that you have Spybot 1.3 with the latest definitions loaded I don't think you'll get this showing up anymore (y)

If you still have any security concerns, it's worth posting a "Hijack This" log in this thread, as follows -

Download the free diagnostic/repair application "Hijack This" from here -
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe

Create a new folder named "HJT" for it and move the hijackthis.exe file into the new folder. Run the scan, save the text logfile of the scan results and post the results back to this thread, but DO NOT FIX ANYTHING with HijackThis until your log has been examined by a knowledgeable responder, most of the items in the scan are required system or application files.

3. RickBoesch

I had downloaded Spybot only 2 nights ago and I checked that it is version 1.3. I still think there is a problem on my machine, so I ran hijackthis and attached the logfile. Please let me know what you think...and thanks again for your help.

Attached Files:

4. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

The tech experts usually want you to copy the log file and paste it right into the body of your post. It makes it easier to read and respond to, that way. :)

5. RickBoesch

Here's the logfile text. (Could you please put a note on the website about not attaching logs as files?)

Thanks,
    Rick

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
    Scan saved at 9:01:57 PM, on 9/22/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\MssCli.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\MPS\mscifapp.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\hptskmgr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\Msssrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM\Binn\sqlservr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\rnathchk.exe
    C:\ORGANIZE\Downloaded Protection Software\Hijack This\hijackthis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar5.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar5.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McAgent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [_AntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\MssCli.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\MPS\mscifapp.exe /embedding
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb09.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [diagent] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diagent.exe" startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McRegWiz] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcregwiz.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CleanUp] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Shared\mcappins.exe /v=3 /cleanup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar5.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar5.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar5.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar5.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar5.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
    O16 - DPF: {3BA494B1-D507-4C11-9BDA-D47E1A65DFCF} (Confidence Online Enterprise Edition) - https://dbrasweb-nj1.us.db.com/llcl...EE.dll,DanaInfo=rctoolbox2.us.db.com,CT=java+
    O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,84/mcinsctl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,21/mcgdmgr.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{DDFD62D7-84B2-4B96-9EA7-4D2A17E9DABE}: NameServer = 207.69.188.186 207.217.120.83
    O18 - Protocol: cetihpz - {CF184AD3-CDCB-4168-A3F7-8E447D129300} - C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\hpuiprot.dll

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice