1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.dst conversion help!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bthiesablage, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bthiesablage

bthiesablage Thread Starter

Hi everybody, I have a club logo that we want to put on our club kit, but was told by the manufacturer that they would need it in .dst format. I've looked around and found a few programs, but they seem to be targeted at professionals and cost a lot of money. Can someone help me with this or suggest an easy way to convert the file?
    Here's the logo.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Sorry ... That's way too detailed for me to digitize.
    Sewing with thread on cloth is not like ink jetting on photo paper
    And Welcome to the TSG Forum

Attached Files:

3. bthiesablage

Hi Noyb, thanks for your answer. I was afraid it would be too complex - can you recommend a company that would offer this service for little money? I mean, sports teams all around the world manage to get their crests stitched onto their gear, how do they do it?

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    We have a pro that visits here .. I've messaged him .. Stand by.
    I think he can work with a psd ... attached ???

5. SignalPunch

SignalPunch

It's going to depend on the size of the finished design and the type of fabric it will be stitched on. The artwork is about 2" wide but you can't get that much detail with thread at that size.

So, what fabric and how big?

6. bthiesablage

The design would be 10cm x 7cm, stitched onto a rowing unisuit, the materials are "205 gram jersey fabric using a full dull polyamide microfibre and 30% Lycra Power". The company manufacturing the kit just e-mailed me as well saying that the design can be in a .dst or a vectorised format. They didn't specify if they required a specific vector format, but maybe this is easier to produce? Thanks a lot again guys!

7. SignalPunch

SignalPunch

At that size (about 3.9" tall), it's still pretty small to include the smaller details without some modification. I'm not sure why they would say they can use a DST file OR a vector file. They aren't interchangeable. A vector image can be used by an auto-convert process to get to a DST file but the results won't be perfect.

8. bthiesablage

Could you convert it to a vector if that would be easier than the dst file? How much detail would be lost in the conversion, do you think?

9. SignalPunch

SignalPunch

You could get someone to redraw it as a vector image but that file would still need to be digitized for embroidery. A DST file is a series of machine commands that tell it where to place each stitch. A vector image is not readable by an embroidery machine. An auto-convert process can turn a vector image into an embroidery file but it will need to be tweaked to stitch correctly.

Manually digitizing the whole design is usually quicker than trying to tweak. I've attached a screen shot of the design but it's about 6" tall, not 4". The amount of detail is pretty good at that size and some small details have been left out.

The tendency would be to take this DST file and reduce it in size to fit the application. Unfortunately you can't reduce the size of thread and the design would end up being bulletproof and would very likely pucker like crazy. Close details would merge into an unrecognizable blob.

Your best bet would be to have it digitized by someone who can specify 60 wt. thread instead of the "normal" 40 wt. It's smaller in diameter and requires smaller needles to be used but can hold more small details.

That's probably 'way more than anyone really wants to know - sorry.

Attached Files:

10. bthiesablage

Wow, the design looks fantastic Duane! However, I do require it in 4'' rather than 6''. Could you maybe give it a shot at downsizing the design, just to see how bad it would get? Or do you think that the kit manufacturers would be able to specify the thinner thread that you were talking about? If so, could they build from your design or would it be required to start all over again? Sorry for asking so many questions, it's just the first time I've ever come across the .dst format.
    Of course, I'd also be willing to pay you for your help - as I said above, the design is really amazing and you're really helping me out here :)

11. SignalPunch

SignalPunch

Thank you. I would recommend trying to find someone to digitize the design for the smaller thread but you would also need to find an embroidery shop that is willing to do the job. I don't keep any supplies on hand for testing 60wt designs. This is one design I would definitely want to test before releasing.

Most of the designs I've provided here are fairly simple and I'm pretty sure they will stitch out well. I did look at yours at 4" tall and the small text on the scrollwork is just too small for normal thread to result in readable lettering.

12. MattyMatt

MattyMatt

Hello,

Can you convert my pictures to a DST file? The front will be the anarchy symbol and on the back I'd like the flag. If you could make the flag the same size of the MLB logo on the back of those hats would be perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for doing all this for everyone.

-Matt

13. SignalPunch

SignalPunch

Matt,

Your artwork can't be reached from the links in the picture placeholders. You'll need to post them to the forum or provide links that aren't behind your email account login.

14. MattyMatt

MattyMatt

Thanks Duane. I know better than that.

15. MattyMatt

MattyMatt

Anyone?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1074747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice