1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DTS or Dolby Digtal 5.1 out of a laptop?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Taggraptor, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Taggraptor

Taggraptor Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a laptop with no fiber optic or digital coax output.

I'm trying to figure out if there is any piece of hardware I could attach (through the USB or PCMCIA/etc) that will allow me to output through fiber or digital cable to get Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 or 6.1 surround to my A/V receiver.

My A/V receiver has a DTS 6.1 and DD 5.1 decoder onboard, so I figure maybe I don't need a soundcard with a decoder? Not sure. Any help will be appreciated.

2. chuckd1991

chuckd1991

Soundblaster makes an audio card that you put into your laptop's ExpressCard slot. It'll give you surround sound.

3. Taggraptor

Taggraptor Thread Starter

Very cool. You wouldn't happen to know which one it is?

Thanks for the help, btw.

4. chuckd1991

chuckd1991

Go to soundblaster.com and click on Products. There's actually 2 laptop sound adapters. The new X-Fi and the Audigy. The X-Fi is for the ExpressCard slot, and the Audigy is for a PCMCIA slot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/577957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice