1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DTV reception issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bel91111, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bel91111

bel91111 Thread Starter

Hi everyone
    I'm new here and new to dtv as well.
    Yesterday I bought a hdd dvd recorder and a set top box. I have it all installed and working but I can only get the auto tuner to find channel 10 and 7. This set up is in my bedroom and doesn't have the best analogue reception. I only have an indoor antenna for this setup.
    Can anyone advise what is the best way to go and preferably the cheapest...
    I have heard of options such as having another cable run off of the roof antenna, using an amplifier or getting a better indoor antenna.
    Any ideas and advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Belinda

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If terrestrial signals are poor on analog, they will not be any better on digital.
    You need a good external antenna.
    You may be able to put an amplified splitter or masthead splitter at the antenna for a separate good quality signal feed, but make sure the antenna is the correct one and in good condition whle you are doing it.

3. wacor

wacor Banned

How good are your normal over the air signals??

Where I live I can pick 5-6 of the normal over the air stations as I am lucky. However to get them digital I bought an amplified set of rabbit ears designed for digital signals. or so they say. it did make a difference. cost about $50 But i did find that one make worked better than another. so if you can buy from a store you can return if unhappy that should tell you if you have a chance of doing better without going to a roof antenna.

4. bel91111

bel91111 Thread Starter

Thank you both for your responses.
    Wacor I can get 7, 9, 10, really crappy 2 and no sbs on analog tv (in my bedroom). The tv in the lounge room is connected to the roof antenna and gets all the channels, but 2 and sbs are not great. I wet to DSE and the guy told me to try a normal antenna ($20) and return it for a more expensive one if it was no good. So thats where I'm at now. I just need to decide which way to go once I return it. To go for a more expensive antenna as you did, or try these amplified or masthead splitters which I know absolutely nothing about... Are they easy to install for a novice to this kind of thing? I can follow instructions and installed stb and hdd dvd recorder with no problems.
    Thanks again,
    Belinda

5. wacor

wacor Banned

i tried a couple of the amplified rabbit ears. one definately was better.

where i live i can get NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS and the uhf one such as UPN or whatever it is called and the other major one. so i can get all the traditional over the air. as a kid we picked them up ok on rabbitt ears though so am lucky to live within 20 miles of the stations.

like i said try a couple of the amplified ears that are supposedly designed for hi def. and you will like it when ya get it. much better than cable hi def.

not sure about the other options you mention. if you google for info on hi def antennas as i did you can get a lot of info to try to figure out what to try

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Your mention of DSE suggest that you are in Australia?

Useful link here:
    http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=25

The point I was trying to make which you seem to have overlooked, is that digital signals require a good signal level, if you have poor results on analog in that location and with that inside antenna, it will be totally unsuited for digital.

While analog still gives a "watchable" picture at low signal level, digital give nothing at a low signal level.

You need a good outdoor antenna designed for the digital channels. Anything less will be very hit and miss, since your description to date suggests you don't have much signal to play with now.

7. bel91111

bel91111 Thread Starter

Thanks again to you both

Kiwiguy, to be honest I was looking to see if there was any quickfix or at least cheap fix as we are renting and don't think I could just replace the antenna, but as your post suggests I might not have any better option and will have to either make do or start the process through the landlord to look at replacing the roof antenna.

I'm off to the other side of the forum now to try and sort out some problems with my laptop.

Thanks again,
    Belinda

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice