1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dual band broadcasting problem, only 1 band works at a time.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jrthesniper, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jrthesniper

Jrthesniper Thread Starter

OK, this is my first time being a part of or using a tech related forum so here it goes:

I'm trying to help save a neighbor some money by fixing their wireless network.

WNDR3700 Dual band Netgear router.

2.4ghz wireless b/g/n with enabled SSID broadcast, channel=auto, mode set to 130Mbps
    WPA-TKIP + WPA2-AES. wireless isolation is not enabled.

5Ghz wireless a/n enabled SSID broadcast, channel = 44, Mode is up to 300Mbps
    No security encription. (i know...bad, but the lady has lots of kids and family members coming
    and going from the house so she doesn't want one encripted). Video network enabled

Both Radio frequencies are enabled, fragment and CTS/RTS set to max

WPS settings = keep existing.

IPv6 not enabled, No repeating is enabled, No guest networks are enabled(however ssid broadcast is enabled for guest profile 1)

The problem, and reason for fixing the problem is that the 2.4 Ghz band light on the router is ON however the SSID is not being seen by any client in the house. the netgear interface says it is on and working. the neighbor needs the 2.4ghz band to work because the printer is wireless and will only recognize 2.4Ghz SSIDs. Also they have older nintendo DS clients they would like to use on the network.

During the day the 5 Ghz band works with very seldom (1-2) disconnects while the 2.4 Ghz band wont be visible to any device. in the evening both bands will come online, and very often will every computer get disconnected from either, the 5Ghz band will stay online longer than the 2.4 band and it seems as though every 10 minutes everyone gets disconnected from 1, and then all the sudden the other band will start working. once every so often both bands will be visable by all computers however only 1 will work.

Things i've done to try to fix the problem:
    -Updated the firmware, appeared to fix the problem. Fix only lasted for about 5 hours.
    -turned off the router and modem to let them sit. restarted both multiple times.
    -Called netgear tech support, asked me about firmware, restarting, then rerouted me someone with more broken English and a horrible phone connection than ive ever seen or heard. then they tried to charge me 30$ for a 1 time help. or 100$ for the year. might as well buy a new router at this point in costs.

My personal fix would be to just broadcast on the 5ghz band and wire the printer to the router, buy another router and broadcast the 2.4 ghz one from it, but the lady wants it all to work with the one router. i dont know if the networked has ever worked as intended and ive spent hours reading forums. plz help any possible solutions will be put to good use.

the main issue is leaving her with internet that she and her family can use so kids can do homework and stuff after i leave the house. at least with the intermittent problems theyre having now they can use it.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Make sure the router has sufficient ventilation and is not over heating.

Make sure the electrical supply is good. If on a power strip or surge protector try connecting directly to an outlet.

4. Jrthesniper

router temp is good, consistently warm to the touch but by no means hot.
    plugged router directly into the wall outlet, everything worked for like 2 minutes.
    after that its back to flip flopping between whichever network is online. :(
    one of the signals will be terrible, suddenly die, then the other will be at excellent strength again.

Does dual band broadcasting require any special ip configurations for computers on the network?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I have no experience with dual band routers, but it sure sounds to me that the router is defective.

6. Jrthesniper

i guess a year and a half is a good lifespan for a router, my experience with electronics is that unless u baby them or upgrade some of the parts in them, they barely outlive the warranty. :(
    ty for your help though.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040356